Seaclear 55G aquisition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lapintoxic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 55G Seaclear aquarium, stand and canopy about a week ago from Craigslist. The tank was in pretty good shape specially for what I paid for it.

So far, I have used my Novus kit to get the tank back into a better state that would hopefully satisfy me (once filled with water). I have not used too much a Novus #3 and just buffed it all up by ends.

Attached is a picture of the tank before the buffing I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20160508_183359705.jpg
    IMG_20160508_183359705.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 106
Bent acrylic, top stand

Tonight, I decided to rinse my tank and fill it up with water but when I put the tank on the stand, I realized that there was a gap at the end and on both sides. It seems like the acrylic bent slightly (2mm) on each end.

I am guessing this will cause so pressure on the tank which won't be good, am I right? I have not filled up the tank with water yet but I tried to put the stand upside down and there is still a slight bent on one end.

I could reinforce both end with 2x4s but that will clearly make it unappealing.

Any ideas?

Could you try putting a sheet of plywood between the tank and stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was planning on putting some between the stand and the carpet so I'll just cut another piece for the top as well.

Thanks!

I cut a piece of plywood I had and that seems to have some the trick. I filled up the tank with water so we shall see how it goes.

Good luck ?is this for freshwater?

Love the tank and stand design, makes mine look old fashioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you Calinban07.

I am also very please with the look and can't wait to start cycling it but first I need to find some good rocks to put in as this will be used to hosts mbuna cichlids. I always loved them and that's what I always wanted before going into the saltwater aquariums.

1/4" unleveled

Well, After a couple weeks, it seems like the carpet padding and uneven concrete floor might have had the best of me. I am seeing a 1/4" difference from the far left to the far right of the tank.

I now need to figure out how to shim it (I think I will have to get that piece of plywood between the stand and the carpet before though) but shimming between the wall and the tank will not be an easy task.

Not sure if anybody has any experience to share...

Picture

Here is the current state of the build (while cycling). It does look very human made and the left side looks empty for now. Suggestions are welcome :flowers:

Thank you Carriwin.

I am not currently looking to put any plants in there and the DIY light I have will not work for them (DIY Led). I do would like to put a nice piece of driftwood in there at some point and maybe a "nice" fake plant but I think the cichlids would tear it apart anyway so we shall see as the build comes along.

Next step is to build the spray bar which I already got the black PVC piping and fitting for. Just need some time to get started.

My apologies, I meant "plants" from the get-go. LOL Sorry about that. My convict fish seems to leave my silk plants alone and didn't rip them up, however the moss ball I put in there (before I joined the forum) was decimated in no time. :) So if you choose to add a small something here or there, I believe it'll be okay. I think the driftwood would look excellent.

That's good to know. I was just scared that since I am using sand, they would move the sand around and the fake plant would then float or something but it does not hurt to give it a try.

I definitely think the tank looks bare but I have time to had more stuff before I stock the thank.

Back
Top Bottom