Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Serpae Tetra & Shrimps

I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 6 hi-fin serpae tetras, 6 bloodfin tetras, 12 cardinal tetras, 3 corys, and 1 oto.

Yesterday I bought 3 red cherry shrimp and 3 crystal red shrimp, because I had read and been told that they were suitable tank mates for tetras. However, when I put them in the tank, I noticed the serpae tetras started to nip at them a little. But I have lots of wood and plants so my shrimp quickly found hiding spots. I've seen them here and there occasionally hiding under the wood, but it's impossible to get a view of all the little crevices. I'm afraid my serpae tetra are going to eat my shrimp. Is this likely? Or are the shrimp just hiding because they're adjusting to a new tank? And my serpae tetra tend to nip at new fish for a little at first until they get used to them. Despite the nipping I have not seen a shrimp actually eaten, so should I worry about the shrimp getting eaten, or should I just assume they're going to be okay, and grow a little bigger? (I know neither of these species gets that big, but the serpae tetra aren't exactly huge either)

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I think your shrimps day are numbered. Those fish will pick at and eventually kill and consume the shrimp.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not sure how many of the shrimp are remaining since they are tiny and very good at hiding under my pieces of drift wood which I have set up with a lot of nooks and crannies.

I have a tiny 2g fish tank, would that be big enough to house the remaining shrimp? At most I have 6, but realistically I probably only have a few left.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say go ahead and make the 2g a shrimp tank. They are fun to watch, and you can put 6-8 in that size tank.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do I have to cycle such a small tank before I move the shrimp?

Tags
rim, serpae, serpae tetra, shrimp, shrimps, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com