Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarthell View Post
Anyone know if pvc is ok in aquariums? I wanted make the filter intake have a longer column covered in sponge so it draws water from top, middle and bottom. Also I have a lump of bituminous coal I picked up from a surface mine here in Arizona a few years ago and I'm wondering if I can put that in the tank. It's unprocessed raw coal. I cant find info on this so I'll likely not include it.

Are there any plants that will grow on the hanging root but will hang/grow downward into the water?

Sent from my SGP561 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
PVC is fine in aquariums. Lots of people use it.

All hatchets jump, it's the way that they naturally get their food. Just make sure ALL holes are covered, no matter how small.

Since most plants grow towards the light I can't think of one that would grow downwards. Maybe pennywort would? I'm not sure really, that's a good question.

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hatchet fish are almost impossible to breed in captivity, it's very hard.

+1 to nils!

Swordtails are one of my favorite fish, very pretty(both males and females!) and very easy to breed!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thx Nils. I was thinking the same thing unless...I shine a light upward in the area I want upside down plants...I could get upside down catfish and bolt my furniture to the ceiling....

I'm thinking I want marginal plants on the root but need to figure out which don't require soil

Old 01-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was about to say that you could have plants growing above water and the roots growing down into the water, kinda like plants growing downwards.
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
Hatchet fish are almost impossible to breed in captivity, it's very hard.

+1 to nils!

Swordtails are one of my favorite fish, very pretty(both males and females!) and very easy to breed!
I considered breeding my dupes at one point but don't have the desire for it right now, so I'm ok with eggs being food. I know how to get all my fish to spawn, they do it every month when I do a 75% water change, but they are community tanks so getting to the eggs in time is difficult. Also the fry feeding reqs and such, just not in the cards.

I am going to grow mystery snails as I have been but without assassin snails. They keep killing off my mystery snails. Is there another snail like mystery that doesn't invade?

I'm also looking for rare shrimp to go in the 90g. Not much experience with shrimp except for BlackBerry and ghost shrimp. Suggestions there?

Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Honestly I would not keep expensive shrimp in such a large tank as they are so small and hard to see, as well as that they might be eaten!

Ghost shrimp, and amano shrimp are the ones you want, the first see cheap and the second are hardy and larger.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I only keep very small fish (1.5" and under) so I haven't had a problem with them being eaten. The biggest issue I had was the filter sucking them up but I fixed that as well.

To your point tho, tiny shrimplets would certainly still be prey. I want a colorful shrimp to contrast the white sand so I suppose it doesn't have to be uncommon/expensive.

I've never had Amano, but heard they won't reproduce in the aquarium so I'll probably stay away from them. My blackberry shrimp have turned reddish brown, blue and clear as the generations come and go. I'm not sure why.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is the color change thing same with other shrimp? I saw some orange Sakura that looked amazing, but I'm worried they will just lose color and at $4-$5 a pop, it seems risky. I could always just grab some juveniles and a pregnant shrimp from the 55 but there's so many other types I haven't kept.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was just thinking more practically, a 90G is huge, putting 10 cherry shrimp in and you won't really see them, as they hide and are tiny....

I also doubt you would be able to breed them if you have any kind of tetra/rasbora/etc, as they'd eat the baby shrimp.

If you want to really see shrimp you'd probably want to get 20+, IMO.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarthell View Post
Is the color change thing same with other shrimp? I saw some orange Sakura that looked amazing, but I'm worried they will just lose color and at $4-$5 a pop, it seems risky. I could always just grab some juveniles and a pregnant shrimp from the 55 but there's so many other types I haven't kept.

They shouldn't change color much, it's more having different kinds/colors mate will lead to wild colored offspring.

Just remembered, they do try to fit in with their surroundings, so if you keep them on white substrate they'll have a more full color than on black or dark substrate... That could also be the case.

Tags
cory, setting up, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com