Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's how my 55g started, just 12 shrimp. Housed with cpd, emeralds, and purple harlequin rasbora. I can see over 20 -30 at any given time. Babies and adults. But I didn't see any when I first put them in bc, as you pointed out, they hid for a couple months until their population was bigger, then one day I had a bunch of shrimp again. I only keep one kind of shrimp in there but they still changed color.

I will have to be more careful with this tank as I don't have hollow driftwood in it like the other tank. Maybe a few clumps of Moss will protect them while they populate?

Many things to consider, thanks for the advice. I'm no expert so if I'm sounding like "I know it all", I apologize.

Sent from my D6708 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some people cull the shrimp that don't have the certain color so they don't breed with the "real" ones, and therefore keep the line pure....

Don't worry you're fine

Moss will definitely help, as well as putting a sponge by the filter intake.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
They shouldn't change color much, it's more having different kinds/colors mate will lead to wild colored offspring.

Just remembered, they do try to fit in with their surroundings, so if you keep them on white substrate they'll have a more full color than on black or dark substrate... That could also be the case.
Pick a good quality Yellow Fire or Orange Sakura (I'd go with Orange or even a Rili), both would pop on plants or rocks.

I think the above was mistakenly noted backwards, yes color tries to match the substrate or surroundings to some degree. BUT Darker with black/darker substrate and lighter with white substrate.

Shrimp of color morphs - some more than others, tend to need culling for maintaining optimum color, some severe culling. Males tend to be lighter color than females as well.

With such a large tank you can maximize your school or fish selection by choosing beautifully colored fish so they are impactful visually on their own, or a school of fish with some color as the group all together would be interesting to observe.

Just consider the shapes of the fish as well in case you might consder a couple options like two or more schools, for example a Neon body shape vs. a Harlequin body shape, are more interesting together than 3 schools with Rummy nose, Neons and Glowlight tetras (bascally same body shape).

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Setting up a new Cory tank 90g

Oops yes tiara what I meant, the colors are darker and more intense on a black substrate, while on a white substrate they'll be a bit more dull.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You can put Cholla wood chunks/sticks around the bottom of the tank for shrimp hiding. Shrimp love them. They float awhile unless you boil them, personally haven't boiled them but let them sink on their own.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
They shouldn't change color much, it's more having different kinds/colors mate will lead to wild colored offspring.

Just remembered, they do try to fit in with their surroundings, so if you keep them on white substrate they'll have a more full color than on black or dark substrate... That could also be the case.

IME my RCS looked best on Black sand. They looked pale on lighter substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes I agree, I got a new phone and it's been giving me a lot of trouble...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the insight folks, it is much appreciated. I am leaning toward orange Sakura shrimp.

At one point I was considering the nothobranchius rachovii killifish (instead of a smaller fish like pygmy hatchets) bc they have awesome color but am not sure they swim in the top half of the tank, and I want my corys to have reign over the substrate. Also they might make keeping shrimp more difficult. Any ppl here keep killis?

Sent from my SGP561 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oooh those killifish are gorgeous!!! Too bad they only live a few months!
Old 01-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I think those are annuals. Killifish are natural predators and some get pretty big. I don't know if I'd add them to this tank. Plus, they roam all around and don't just stick to the top even though they are supposed to be top dwellers. Some easy beginner ones that are fairly peaceful are golden wonder killies.

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, setting up, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com