Setting up a new Cory tank 90g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh wow, good thing I didn't buy a "pair" on eBay like I was going to. I do feel bad giving a beta fish only 10 gallons but it's got to be an upgrade for him coming from a bucket or a cup.

I'm going to wait until the bulbs fill in to see if I need to do anything else to hide the sponge. Shortening the longer sponge helped the view a lot.

Sent from my D6708 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1455904034966.jpg
    1455904034966.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 55
Yup.... 10 gallons is great for a betta!

Have you thought about getting a black background? Would look pretty nice! and then if you had a black sponge for the filter....

Here's what's in the tank now. I added a lot of fish in two days (12 pygmy corys, 17 green cory, 50 ember tetra), but I'm hoping bc they are small/tiny fish, I won't have any problems. With both filters running I think I'll still have pristine water keeping the same water change schedule. I spent waaay too much money on this tank but it's turning out nice. I'll try to get a picture during feeding time tonight.

I still want a few cholla sticks but am thinking I'll put it under the Java fern out of sight. The right side of the tank hurts me to look at but I can't think of what to do other than wait for the bulbs to grow in.

Too many fish?

Sent from my SGP561 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1456264461413.jpg
    1456264461413.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 44
Did you get the brochis splendens, or Corydoras Aeneus? The first gets huge, and has a big bioload..

Wow where the heck did you find 50 ember tetras???? Lol I'd love to see a picture!

You could get taller, Y shaped cholla wood and make a little forest between the bulbs and maybe add some moss to it? That would look cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
I might try to find some narrow leaf java fern and add it to cover the sponge.

Btw have you seen those Anubis on a suction cup? The petco near me has them, they look really neat! Could probably make your own they just use a zip tie and a suction cup....

Those are great ideas! I might try both.

Oh no I need to check and see what type of green cory but the lfs said they wouldn't break the 2 inch mark

The only option for "green cory" on aqadvisor brought that species up...how can I tell the difference?

There were actually 100+ ember tetra and I almost got them all. He said if I bought 60 he would give me 40 free but I bought 30 instead and got 20 free. They are adorable fish. When I get a chance I'll try to post a video.

Wow that's a great deal! How much were they?

If you can post a picture/video I can identify them for you:)

The more I look I am noticing that a few of the green cory have longer snouts than the others and are larger. I got 12 from one lfs and 6 from another. So maybe I have both species?

The tetra were $1.99/ea. So I got 50 for @ $60

If you really want them and know a cheap way to ship I could pick some up for you at that price. Not sure if you'd save any money though...

I can add video after I put the little man to sleep and figure out how to add a video...do I have to post to YouTube and link to it?

If you really want them and know a cheap way to ship I could pick some up for you at that price. Not sure if you'd save any money though...

I can add video after I put the little man to sleep and figure out how to add a video...do I have to post to YouTube and link to it?

Yeah I wouldn't be saving any money as I don't need that many! But thanks for asking!

Yeah YouTube for the videos or TapaTalk....

Just watch how much you are feeding and also the parameters. Adding that many at once could cause a mini cycle type thing.

Congrats for a nice large school of the Ember Tetras!

Male Cories are slimmer and the female will have a body more shaped like a broad triangle. But it does sound like you could have 2 varieties, Emerald Brochis or Green Corydoras aeneus.

Pictures and video

Ok, here are some photos, and here is a video link. Hopefully its enough to identify the cory.

I apologize, despite the cost of my camera, I am unable to get a single decent photo out of it. Much harder to photograph an aquarium than I expected. Its basically impossible without a video camera or a video lens or macro lens - of course I have none of these things. Sigh. I might be able to get some better photos if I add a second led to the tank so I will try that later.

In other frustrating news, the anubias I purchased was apparently infected with some sort of fungus and all the rhizomes are rotting away. In addition, they have caused anubias that I've had for over a year to start rotting. I am...whats the word...:banghead:

Video: https://youtu.be/30Y6pz8bjD4

Attachments

• 90 Gallon (1 of 7).jpg
    90 Gallon (1 of 7).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 90 Gallon (2 of 7).jpg
    90 Gallon (2 of 7).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 90 Gallon (3 of 7).jpg
    90 Gallon (3 of 7).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 90 Gallon (5 of 7).jpg
    90 Gallon (5 of 7).jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 54
Can you check your PH?

I understand the Anubias overall as a group don't care for low pH say 7 and under very much and can have a melt. Most prefer 7.5 and above.(according to what Dustin told me when he visited our aquarium club and was selling awesome vining Anubias I have lower PH and can grow nana and petite just fine and kill the pointy leave ones like Hastifolia).

If all your cories look like the ones in the pictures, you have bronze Aeneus Corydoras which should make you stocking much more reasonable!

Lots of action in there! Lovely tank! Can you take a picture from the front? I'm interested to see how the fish look with the tank itself.

My pH is at 7.5. Water is filtered - not Reverse osmosis and hit with Excel twice a week and low doses of flourish. Well I got a refund at least...

My fish are so tiny that with a full tank picture it looks empty. Lol. But yes there's lots of activity. Is it normal for cory to be this active? My duplicareus aren't nearly as active as the aeneus cory seem to be.

Bronze cories are active for sure they might also be getting ready to breed! I used to have an Aeneus Cory that was 7 years old, even he was fairly active! These guys live forever, lol

Update: the tank is running well and it is VERY active. I had a brief die off of anubias plants but was able to stop it before I lost my plants, now they are growing well again. I've added three bushy nose albino pleco (one dissappeared and is assumed eaten or on vacation).

I am going to add a few nerite snails when I can find some at the lfs for a reasonable cost.

The dwarf lily are not growing like I hoped so I'm looking to add something else that doesn't need a deep rooting. Any suggestions there (no ferns as I have plenty already)

Attachments

• 1461256922068.jpg
    1461256922068.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom