some corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got a really nice deal on some xenia (unidentified) ((silver?)). and a really nice green brain (also unidentified and i think its name started with a w) ((looks almost like a donut coral but not)). pics coming soon. also, anything that i should know/do/add to the tank? i am feeding some plankton about every other day. brain is on the bottom w/ low-ish flow, and the xenia is in the middle with med flow (just enough to admire the pulsing).
Thanks!

You really don't need to add anything specifically for those. They should get what they need just from you doing your normal thing. Need to see some pics

i got a really nice deal on some xenia (unidentified) ((silver?)). and a really nice green brain (also unidentified and i think its name started with a w) ((looks almost like a donut coral but not)). pics coming soon. also, anything that i should know/do/add to the tank? i am feeding some plankton about every other day. brain is on the bottom w/ low-ish flow, and the xenia is in the middle with med flow (just enough to admire the pulsing).
Thanks!

Be prepared for the xenia (if it does well in your tank) to spread like crazy.

The brain I'm guessing was sold to you as wellsophyllia?? It will actually benefit from meaty feedings. I have a trachyphyllia (similar to the wells) that I feed once every month or so. For the most part they will collect the food they need from your lights and as you feed your fish.

Are you feeding phyto or zoa plankton? Neither of which you really need in your tank, and you really don't want to feed that every other day. Maybe once a week at the most and that is if you have feather dusters and other filter feeding corals.

I agree that the phyto is not needed. They will get what they need from the water column.

Just fyi, Wellsophyllia is no longer in text and used as reference to a "non free-living" Trachyphyllia geoffroyi :)

Just fyi, Wellsophyllia is no longer in text and used as reference to a "non free-living" Trachyphyllia geoffroyi :)

That is true but there are tons of people out there that still call it wells. My Trach was sold to me as a wells and I corrected the LFS.

not really sure on the plankton stuff or what not, its the same kinda stuff as DT's but some guy does it locally 4 cheaper than DT's so yeah. yeah, i cant wait for the xenia to spread cuz it will fill up my little 3 gal, and future 55gal. brain: yeah, wells is the word i think he used, what should i feed it and how, just dangle the food touching the mouth with it? im hoping to get a few dusters, a firefish, a red/blue brain(awesome but expensive/rare), mushrooms, a star, and a plate coral as my future stuffs. but while the nanocube is stabilizing, i think im going to start working on the 3 again, its becoming kind of a pig stock.

You don't have to feed the brain at all. Mine will grab mysis as they are washed over it. Once in a while I will actually squirt some mysis towards it when the tentacles are extended other then that it gets what it needs from the water.

well, when i was looking at my 3 gal to figure out what i want to put it in, i saw a bunch of little bugs, so i went on xtalworld.com and theyre isopods. **** :drain: rite when i thought i could relax for a while. ugh. ive also seen one or two adults in the larger tank. (i know its only 2 cuz i know their spots). short of attempting for the gazillionth time to catch them, (when i didnt know what they were) what can i do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom