Some super shy clown loaches, lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
So after a trip to the LFS a week ago I left with 3 new clown loaches. Well they hardly every come out of this piece of blue decoration:

img_850907_0_527ace8bfb41628745b9f07143785be6.jpg

They love chillin' in those tubes so much they hardly ever come out. I was so worried that I thought they might have gotten sucked into the filter or eaten or jumped out b/c they completely disappeared. SO last night I pulled up my sleeve, and picked it up, turned it upside down, and out came two of em. But I'm still missing one, so I take the deocoration to the sink (with the drain stopped up of course) and run water through it while it's upside down. Sure enough, out pours the third smallest loach so I netted him and put him back in the tank.

Are they nocturnal or something? I hardley ever see em and when I do, they're usually on their way in or out of the blue tube thing. I'm thinking of taping or closing the holes somehow so I don't have to worry about not seeing them but don't want to take away their hiding spots (which they obviously LOVE. Advice?

They can be quite good at hiding. Since they are new it may just take some time for them to get used to their new environment enough to feel comfortable coming out and about. I have 9 of them in a 125 and they hide sometimes and other times they are playing and chasing each other. Are they in the 55?

Anne,

Nine clowns must give you quite the show when they're out playing around.
I have 5 in my 90g. Up until a few days ago, they would come right up to the corner of the tank when I walked by. There in a bit of a state of shock after my furniture re-location.

I was removing a large homade ornament which is made from roofing slate, 1 1/2" PVC, and river rocks...all held together with silicone. I constructed it specifically for hiding places for various fish. It worked.....too well.

Of course the water got muddied up as I picked this furniture from the sand base, and I had little light because the hood had to come off to remove this 14"l x 6"w x 8"h piece. I set it kitty corner on the rim of the tank to let the water drip off into the tank. All of a sudden, out jumps one of the 3" clowns, right into the water. Phew...glad I saved him, right?

I had laid out a sheet of plastic on the floor, and upon the exit of the clown, I figured that hobo was the only hold out. Wrong!

Over the next few minutes, I became overwhelmed with flopping clowns trying to exit the piece....3 flopped out and ended up on to the carpet. Have youe ever tried to catch a clown with your bare hand? Ouch!!! Barbs man, barbs.

I quickly got those 3 back into the tank, along with a few cat and dog hairs from the rug [ok, I'm a slob, & I don't have a license to operate a vacuum :^))], but I couldn't immediately get the largest clown out of this multi-layered ornament, which was to be put into dry storage anyway.

I made an executive decision and began to pull the layers of slate apart until I could expose this 3.5+" fish. I didn't dare to hold this piece above the tank and shake it.....fearing I'd drop and end up with disasterous results. Finally, after shaking him out of his digs, I was able to scoop him up by hand and put him back in the tank. I didn't notice anymore pain in my hand, as it already was showng signs of that red stuff which thankfully didn't appear to taint the tank.

Long story short, all 5 are doing well, but only 2 are back to their normal 'clown' self. The other 3, including the poor bstrd that had to hold his breath forever, will come out only to eat, only to return to hide in one of the other pieces that decorate the tank. I'm sure that if they could talk, they'd have several savory words for me.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom