Stalled cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquanano130

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am looking for help with my new Aquanano 130L. It has been cycling for 21 days and seems to have come to a stand still. My Ammonia is between .25/.50 my nitrite is around 2.0 and my nitrate is at 40ppm, these readings have stayed the same for nearly a week and a half, I have been using 6 danio's to start the cycle since day 4. And used tape safe and fluval bio enhancer to start it off. My Lfs has recently recommended denitrol which I have been adding for the last 4 days without change in my readings. Is there anyone that can help me with this PLEASE!

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433356674.642970.jpg

Hi,

I am looking for help with my new Aquanano 130L. It has been cycling for 21 days and seems to have come to a stand still. My Ammonia is between .25/.50 my nitrite is around 2.0 and my nitrate is at 40ppm, these readings have stayed the same for nearly a week and a half, I have been using 6 danio's to start the cycle since day 4. And used tape safe and fluval bio enhancer to start it off. My Lfs has recently recommended denitrol which I have been adding for the last 4 days without change in my readings. Is there anyone that can help me with this PLEASE!

Thanks

View attachment 273179

Quit with all the additives. You really don't need them. All you need to successfully cycle a tank is a dechlorinator and an ammonia source.

Your cycle isn't stalled, it's simply processing the amount of ammonia that's being produced. If it was stalled youd be seeing a steady increase in ammonia suddenly start. It can take up to 2 months to get a cycle finished so just keep up with water changes.

You should be shooting for your ammonia and nitrite below 0.25ppm and do a 50% water change whenever you are seeing it higher than that. As well as nitrate below 40ppm.

Thank you, I was begging to panic and there's so much conflicting advice out there especially from different fish stores. I will carry on testing my water daily and doing my water changes. From your experience would you say I am far away from being cycled or could I really still be a month away? Really looking forward to getting some fish but want an established tank that where my fish will be stress free and healthy... Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Its really impossible for me to tell. Theres too many factors. Its unlikely to be an entire month tho.

What does your ph sit at?

Well that's my other issue my Ph is around 8-8.2. It also comes from the tap the same after leaving do 48hours. I originally looked at African Cychlids but have since found my tank is too small (very disappointed) so after a lot of research have found its probably best not to play with Ph but to keep a stable Ph and have a community tank with selected fish that can adapt. I also think the high Ph I have will prolong my cycle?...

Your pH may drop at the end of the cycle. While there is a good range of pH the fish we keep prefer, most will adapt to your pH.

Caleb

Your pH may drop at the end of the cycle. While there is a good range of pH the fish we keep prefer, most will adapt to your pH.

Caleb

Thanks Caleb, definitely less stressed about it now... Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom