stocking 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgamer20o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
i get very tired of the inch per gallon myths.... so i figured if anyone can start a random rule that doesnt apply why cant i.... introducing 6 inch per gallon.... also known one inch per 20oz....

YouTube - stocking101

Poor fish. They've got nowhere to hide. That said, the inch per gallon rule is a decent place to start. I figure I've got roughly 2" per gallon in my 29 and 16" of that are two beefy catfish.

Buying fish that swim at different levels, adding plants, and using oversized filters is my method to evade the 1" per gallon rule. It's generally pretty easy to look at a tank and see if it's overcrowded.

Thats crazy, i have always thought of that as a stupid rule. Even when i started in the hobby i thought that was stupid. Hope that is not your tank.

Thats crazy, i have always thought of that as a stupid rule. Even when i started in the hobby i thought that was stupid. Hope that is not your tank.
why?
Poor fish. They've got nowhere to hide. That said, the inch per gallon rule is a decent place to start. I figure I've got roughly 2" per gallon in my 29 and 16" of that are two beefy catfish.

Buying fish that swim at different levels, adding plants, and using oversized filters is my method to evade the 1" per gallon rule. It's generally pretty easy to look at a tank and see if it's overcrowded.
poor fish? hide from what?

The inch per gallon rule? I mean come on, that is so stupid. That would mean a fish that is half a foot would be fine in less then a 10g tank which in just cruel and unacceptable. And if your talking about why i said "I hope that's not your own tank" is because i hope that you are a better fish keeper then that.

As for your rule it kinda confused me the way you put it but it sounded like you said a fish gets a gallon per 6 inches, which is also unacceptable.

As for your rule it kinda confused me the way you put it but it sounded like you said a fish gets a gallon per 6 inches, which is also unacceptable.
there is.... why is it unacceptable?

Yeah I started no more than 2-months ago and thought that was pretty silly. Hence why I've spent my last two paychecks on my fish :\ I blame you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
there is.... why is it unacceptable?

Seriously? Why is that unacceptable? That would mean a fish that's half a foot would be fine in a tank less then a 10g. The fish would not be able to turn around or barely move. I think we might be getting confused at what we are talking about.

I see nothing wrong with that vid. I actually think it is cool looking. Those fish are tight schooling and not even using all the tank they have.

I see nothing wrong with that vid. I actually think it is cool looking. Those fish are tight schooling and not even using all the tank they have.

I was actually thinking that. After the fact i thought about how these schools of fish like being in a tight school close together. This tank is not all that bad but I do think that the 1 gallon for every inch of a fish is a stupid rule.

I completely agree with Etunes on this 1" per gallon rule, whoever thought of it didnt think it through all that well

Seriously? Why is that unacceptable? That would mean a fish that's half a foot would be fine in a tank less then a 10g. The fish would not be able to turn around or barely move. I think we might be getting confused at what we are talking about.
i am talking about my tank what are you talking about?

i am talking about my tank what are you talking about?

Yes, but are you talking about that it is over crowded? or ar you asking weather people agree with you that the 1" per gallon rule is stupid? Because that is what i am trying to say.

Yes, but are you talking about that it is over crowded? or ar you asking weather people agree with you that the 1" per gallon rule is stupid? Because that is what i am trying to say.
introducing 6 inch per gallon.... also known one inch per 20oz....

the rule of 1" per gallon came because people were stocking 5 oscars in a 10 gallon cause they are pretty. Of course there are ext ream circumstances that you can push the envelope and get away with it. Im more than 100% sure gamer didnt put all those fish in that tank to start off with it.. its almost impossible for fish to survive without the proper filtration or bioload to sustain them. Can it be done? YES Should it be done with all types of fish? NO Should someone who doesnt know what the heck they are doing attempt this? NO

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom