Stocking numbers help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy monkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've spent ages trying to work out my ideal stock list, got some good advice here yesterday regarding it, then today I went to a LFS with a gorgeous set up, it's exactly what I want!
The shop guy wrote me a list and I know they'll be fine together cos they're happy in that tank, but my tank is a bit smaller so would really appreciate advice on how many of each I can have and which to stock first.

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs
Amano shrimps (these weren't in the tank, he suggested them when I asked)

I currently have a 165 litre with 5 pearl danios (not the celestial ones)

Thanks in advance :)

Anyone?

Also I've just set up my old 60 litre Juwell rekord as a quarantine tank, how long should I keep new fish in there before putting them in my main tank to be sure of no infection? No gravel in it, just a heater and filter and blue bg, looks pretty bare!

Fishy monkey said:
Anyone?

Also I've just set up my old 60 litre Juwell rekord as a quarantine tank, how long should I keep new fish in there before putting them in my main tank to be sure of no infection? No gravel in it, just a heater and filter and blue bg, looks pretty bare!

I would keep them in there for at least 2-3 weeks.

Fishy monkey said:
I've spent ages trying to work out my ideal stock list, got some good advice here yesterday regarding it, then today I went to a LFS with a gorgeous set up, it's exactly what I want!
The shop guy wrote me a list and I know they'll be fine together cos they're happy in that tank, but my tank is a bit smaller so would really appreciate advice on how many of each I can have and which to stock first.

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs

A 165 litre tank is about 38-39 gallons? I wouldn't recommend bosemani rainbow or redline torpedo barb. Instead I would do dwarf neon Rainbowfish and maybe 1 torpedo barb. That ought to do better.

Thanks, would that be 1 dwarf neon rainbow fish too? Do you know how many of the others I'd be ok to have? I'm reluctant to trust the people in LFS since I haven't had much luck with their info so far!

Fishy monkey said:

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs

You could have 6 dwarf neon rainbows. As for the others I would say go for a smaller tetra like the diamond tetra and do 6 of those. Then 5 odeassa barb and however many amanos you like. I'm not familiar with the first species though.

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs

IMO, your tank is not nearly large enough for a group of tropheus and barely adequate for a single adult. The other fish will not survive long term in the tropheus preferred water conditions either. If you eliminate the tropheus, I'd recommend that you choose one species amongst the rainbow, tetra, and barbs. Then probably look at riverine fish for a "centerpiece".

Thanks HN1, that's the type of info that the LFS guy didn't give, in fact he said he had all those fish and more in his tank that was the same as mine, so glad I checked here first :)

What do you mean by riverine though?

Samzter said:
You could have 6 dwarf neon rainbows. As for the others I would say go for a smaller tetra like the diamond tetra and do 6 of those. Then 5 odeassa barb and however many amanos you like. I'm not familiar with the first species though.

Thanks loads for your help, I think I've a much clearer idea on what to do now, I'm determined not to bugger up this tank like me last one! :)

Thanks HN1, that's the type of info that the LFS guy didn't give, in fact he said he had all those fish and more in his tank that was the same as mine, so glad I checked here first :)

What do you mean by riverine though?

Tropheus are from Lake Tanganyika which has some of the hardest freshwater on the planet. Even higher than the other rift lakes. The other fish you listed are from rivers which have softer water (lower TDS, pH, gh, kh). There are many African riverine (from rivers vs lakes) and SA fish that would work. You can mix just about anything for the short term, but to be successful (IMO) you need to plan for the long term. I hate to say it, but your LFS guy doesn't sound like one to be trusted.

HN1 said:
Tropheus are from Lake Tanganyika which has some of the hardest freshwater on the planet. Even higher than the other rift lakes. The other fish you listed are from rivers which have softer water (lower TDS, pH, gh, kh). There are many African riverine (from rivers vs lakes) and SA fish that would work. You can mix just about anything for the short term, but to be successful (IMO) you need to plan for the long term. I hate to say it, but your LFS guy doesn't sound like one to be trusted.

Thanks, so when I google fish I look for the origin and that's how I work out if its a lake or river one? I kinda figured that about the LFS, I've had issues in the past which led to my last community being decimated due to lousy advice, hence why I joined here. :)

Back
Top Bottom