Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stocking numbers help please

I've spent ages trying to work out my ideal stock list, got some good advice here yesterday regarding it, then today I went to a LFS with a gorgeous set up, it's exactly what I want!
The shop guy wrote me a list and I know they'll be fine together cos they're happy in that tank, but my tank is a bit smaller so would really appreciate advice on how many of each I can have and which to stock first.

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs
Amano shrimps (these weren't in the tank, he suggested them when I asked)

I currently have a 165 litre with 5 pearl danios (not the celestial ones)

Thanks in advance

Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anyone?

Also I've just set up my old 60 litre Juwell rekord as a quarantine tank, how long should I keep new fish in there before putting them in my main tank to be sure of no infection? No gravel in it, just a heater and filter and blue bg, looks pretty bare!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy monkey
Anyone?

Also I've just set up my old 60 litre Juwell rekord as a quarantine tank, how long should I keep new fish in there before putting them in my main tank to be sure of no infection? No gravel in it, just a heater and filter and blue bg, looks pretty bare!
I would keep them in there for at least 2-3 weeks.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've spent ages trying to work out my ideal stock list, got some good advice here yesterday regarding it, then today I went to a LFS with a gorgeous set up, it's exactly what I want!
The shop guy wrote me a list and I know they'll be fine together cos they're happy in that tank, but my tank is a bit smaller so would really appreciate advice on how many of each I can have and which to stock first.

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs

Thanks in advance
A 165 litre tank is about 38-39 gallons? I wouldn't recommend bosemani rainbow or redline torpedo barb. Instead I would do dwarf neon Rainbowfish and maybe 1 torpedo barb. That ought to do better.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, would that be 1 dwarf neon rainbow fish too? Do you know how many of the others I'd be ok to have? I'm reluctant to trust the people in LFS since I haven't had much luck with their info so far!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs

Thanks in advance
You could have 6 dwarf neon rainbows. As for the others I would say go for a smaller tetra like the diamond tetra and do 6 of those. Then 5 odeassa barb and however many amanos you like. I'm not familiar with the first species though.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy monkey View Post

Duboisi tropheus
Bosemani rainbow
Congo tetra
Red line torpedoes
Odessa barbs

Thanks in advance
IMO, your tank is not nearly large enough for a group of tropheus and barely adequate for a single adult. The other fish will not survive long term in the tropheus preferred water conditions either. If you eliminate the tropheus, I'd recommend that you choose one species amongst the rainbow, tetra, and barbs. Then probably look at riverine fish for a "centerpiece".
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks HN1, that's the type of info that the LFS guy didn't give, in fact he said he had all those fish and more in his tank that was the same as mine, so glad I checked here first

What do you mean by riverine though?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter

You could have 6 dwarf neon rainbows. As for the others I would say go for a smaller tetra like the diamond tetra and do 6 of those. Then 5 odeassa barb and however many amanos you like. I'm not familiar with the first species though.
Thanks loads for your help, I think I've a much clearer idea on what to do now, I'm determined not to bugger up this tank like me last one!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy monkey View Post
Thanks HN1, that's the type of info that the LFS guy didn't give, in fact he said he had all those fish and more in his tank that was the same as mine, so glad I checked here first

What do you mean by riverine though?
Tropheus are from Lake Tanganyika which has some of the hardest freshwater on the planet. Even higher than the other rift lakes. The other fish you listed are from rivers which have softer water (lower TDS, pH, gh, kh). There are many African riverine (from rivers vs lakes) and SA fish that would work. You can mix just about anything for the short term, but to be successful (IMO) you need to plan for the long term. I hate to say it, but your LFS guy doesn't sound like one to be trusted.

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com