Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stocking tank

I have a 46 litre tank, I have 6 harlequin rasbora, 6 neon green rasbora and 1 male betta. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on having any more fish in a tank this size and if so what fish or is this enough in a tank that size as I don't want to over stock and stress out my fish. Any helps appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on the attitude of the betta, that's all I'd have.
(I have a single male betta in 45 litres)

Have a back up plan in case he gets nasty.

Once these fish have grown out the tank would be full to slightly over but that's my opinion.
It looks like a tall tank so it would be less convenient for the river fish.
If you can save for a 2ft tank, keep the betta in the 45 and stick everything else in the 15g.

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the advice it's my first aquarium (had to be small because of my flat) but I was just going off what my local aquatics centre suggested I got and fish they said ect. I already regret getting a small tank and I see what you mean about not being ideal for river fish, I will no doubt find a way to fit a bigger tank in soon. Thanks !
Old 02-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndw View Post
I have a 46 litre tank, I have 6 harlequin rasbora, 6 neon green rasbora and 1 male betta. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on having any more fish in a tank this size and if so what fish or is this enough in a tank that size as I don't want to over stock and stress out my fish. Any helps appreciated. Thanks

Which equals 12g

How long have you had these fish together ?

Can you post a pic of your tank ( full tank shot ) ?

Because your M kubotai are tiny, they are well suited to a 10g as long as the Betta isn't intimidating them or stealing all the food.

I don't think you have room for more fish, but you can always add plants 👍

Watch for aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had them together for nearly a week I've been checking for aggression and so for so good. They seem to steer clear of each other. And don't seem stressed (in my opinion) but I am an amateur This is a full shot of my tank Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424808014.798716.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	265332
Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No worries! The answer you gave is pretty good! So I won't beat on about tank size and all that waffle, we all have to start somewhere so welcome to Fishkeeping!

All I'd say is keep an eye on it because smaller systems are a bit more involved, what else? Oh, the 10% water change idea is rubbish! I used to do that but it's not enough. 20-30% makes a difference. You may need 2-3 per week as this system develops. Other than that, enjoy it! It really is fun.

Is that an edge tank? If it is, how are they for access? I looked at these, they sort of float. My only concern was getting in it to clean. They look sharp though!
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do 20% water changes about 2 times a week while the waters still cycling for next month properly. But I'm enjoying it so far. It is the fluval edge yes. It's a lovely looking tank however it is a bit of a pain accessing the tank. Having to find ornaments that will fit through the small gap at the top and also cleaning the walls is quiet difficult especially near the top, I will say the filter is amazing. Although the idea of the tank is to be filled to the top allowing you to see through the top I was advised by various fish places to leave a gap at the top as the tank doesn't get enough oxygen into the water with the setup. Makes sense being that the gap is only 10 inches wide. However the tank does look the nuts. Aqua vis do a 130 litre version that also looks lovely
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

With fake plants, keep an eye on your BETTA's fins. I only use silk plants with my Bettas, if I'm going to use fake, because they can tear their fins on sharp edges of fake plants.

Your nano fish will appreciate live plants as well.

Try Java Ferns or Anubias nana Petite.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also when the tank was filled to the top you got air bubbles in the corners where the filter was pushing air in and I was constantly using my algae magnet to pull the bubbles back into the gap. Very annoying after doing it 3-4 times a day due to minor OCD !
Old 02-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks courair. I put a post up on here earlier because the day I bought my betta (last Saturday) I noticed fin rot or tears and was slightly concerned for his health and have been advised to get real or silk plants instead of plastic so this weekend il venture out and get some as I don't want his fins to get any worse. Especially by my doing

Tags
stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com