Stopping? What's that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was walking through the Walmart near my house after dinner today. I was going there just to buy a bag of sand and a bag of aquarium salt. But then it happened. I saw the betta selection. I know I shouldn't have, I mean it's Walmart and they have horrible water conditions, but I saw him:cool:. I walked over and saw a beautiful male betta swimming in about 1/2" of water. He couldn't even fit his body straight. He looked at me and flashed, "take me home! I can't stay here much longer!" he pleaded. I thought about it, there was the 2.5g tank that I had. I have a filter, all I need is a heater. I picked up his dish-thing and he started swimming in circles almost like saying "haha suckers I got an owner:p". So I may have brought home yet another betta:whistle:.:angel:

I still need to buy a heater, but I'll do that tomorrow. I'll post a picture once he's done getting settled. I believe he is a halfmoon with a little fin rot, or maybe a crowntail with a really full crown. Hopefully you can tell me. Also, his name is Benjamin (although I thought Fabio would be better...:brows:)

AquaKai said:
So I was walking through the Walmart near my house after dinner today. I was going there just to buy a bag of sand and a bag of aquarium salt. But then it happened. I saw the betta selection. I know I shouldn't have, I mean it's Walmart and they have horrible water conditions, but I saw him:cool:. I walked over and saw a beautiful male betta swimming in about 1/2" of water. He couldn't even fit his body straight. He looked at me and flashed, "take me home! I can't stay here much longer!" he pleaded. I thought about it, there was the 2.5g tank that I had. I have a filter, all I need is a heater. I picked up his dish-thing and he started swimming in circles almost like saying "haha suckers I got an owner:p". So I may have brought home yet another betta:whistle:.:angel:

I still need to buy a heater, but I'll do that tomorrow. I'll post a picture once he's done getting settled. I believe he is a halfmoon with a little fin rot, or maybe a crowntail with a really full crown. Hopefully you can tell me. Also, his name is Benjamin (although I thought Fabio would be better...:brows:)

Oh I hate it when that happens. LOL. I can completely understand! The LFS I went to today had several Bettas & there was an absolutely GORGEOUS purple one, I was so close to brining him home, but I resisted. I already have 2 males & 3 females, the males are currently in 1g homes which I am working on remedying. They do so much better in bigger homes. Good luck with him, hopefully you can save him & you'll get years of enjoyment from him.

Oh I hate it when that happens. LOL. I can completely understand! The LFS I went to today had several Bettas & there was an absolutely GORGEOUS purple one, I was so close to brining him home, but I resisted. I already have 2 males & 3 females, the males are currently in 1g homes which I am working on remedying. They do so much better in bigger homes. Good luck with him, hopefully you can save him & you'll get years of enjoyment from him.

A purple one! Oh, it would have been so hard for me to walk away considering purple is my all time favorite color! I've been wanting to get some females, but every time I'm about to there's that perfect male... I mean I've had females I just have this tendency to buy the sickly ones...

I have pictures!!!
Him:
img_2012784_0_e6ff57b7c2f5b225a74ef8d6285b7e59.jpg

His Home:
img_2012784_1_28ef4ec9ea622ebc69abaaa32de3df15.jpg

He has room to SWIM:
img_2012784_2_b917744a458d51340159625e8a48f429.jpg

Yes, he know's he's sexy;)
img_2012784_3_a29d6702b309cc6459b0aaaf4a48f2ac.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow, and perhaps a video. Benjamin is loving blood worms and betta pellets. I don't even want to know how long he was without food. All I know is that he's now in a good home:D

AquaKai said:
I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow, and perhaps a video. Benjamin is loving blood worms and betta pellets. I don't even want to know how long he was without food. All I know is that he's now in a good home:D

He's beautiful. I'm thinking he's a half moon. I have a crown tail & he looks different from yours. My other male is a veil tail who also looks different from Benjamin. The purple one I saw today was a color I hadn't seen before so yeah it wasn't easy walking away but I'm limited on space. :-/ I've rescued a few sickly ones myself. I had a beautiful yellow male who unfortunately didn't make it but at least his last few weeks were good. For some reason he never would eat & I tried all kinds of food. My one female doesn't swim quite right, she's much better than she was 3 months ago but you can tell she's just not quite right. When I brought her home I wasn't sure she'd be able to make it to the surface but she did. She would go from leaf to leaf, structure to structure & would appear plum wore out, her bottom would drag. She's a bit of a bully sometimes & a definite pig in fish disguise. I started this obsession about 6 months ago & it's hard to control.

I just have to say that Simon is beautiful! He has such a unique coloration.

I'm thinking Benjamin is either a half-moon or maybe even an over-half-moon. When he fans his tail out it's very large! I'll try to get a picture of him while he's doing that:)

AquaKai said:
I just have to say that Simon is beautiful! He has such a unique coloration.

I'm thinking Benjamin is either a half-moon or maybe even an over-half-moon. When he fans his tail out it's very large! I'll try to get a picture of him while he's doing that:)

Thank you. His coloring all depends on how the light hits him, he's kind of opalesque, green, pink, purple, blue. He has LOTS of personality, can't wait to get him in a 10g tank, he's going to go nuts.

I plan on rescuing bettas from petco. I feel bad for the females and babies. The males right now are the ones I really want to save so I can display them with pride.

bettaowner said:
I plan on rescuing bettas from petco. I feel bad for the females and babies. The males right now are the ones I really want to save so I can display them with pride.

Sorry but, By doing this you are giving big boxes incentive to continue selling bettas this way. If you really want to help, you should present the team and management with facts on housing bettas this way. Let them know this is unacceptable. Otherwise you are only enabling them. Just my. 02

Here's a video of Benjamin:

Benjamin 1- A New Home - YouTube

And Here are some new and better quality pictures:

Benjamin looking for some more food:
img_2013352_0_c429345b98c9dcbc096bf6d404c14a54.jpg

Swimming at the bottom of the tank:
img_2013352_1_934361b23ff7a319955fe6c43a35a54b.jpg

Benjamin hiding behind a plant:
img_2013352_2_7ee02c9686875c96f80d3de555efc830.jpg

Stretching out his fins:
img_2013352_3_6d33f5953a0edcb1ddc25aaca90195b1.jpg

We definitely need to work on the fin rot:
img_2013352_4_e2c6b4e93fd4119ed222f4dd3561d906.jpg

He's glad to have a new home:
img_2013352_5_845ee021781a0b03d1d203fa36edd496.jpg

Also, I agree with christine2012, this was just a 'I fell in love and can't leave you' thing. The best thing to do is to send the company emails. I actually just read that someone heard back from WalMart about the betta packages that they sell. The person said that they were not good for the health of the betta and WalMart called back and said that they would talk to the manufacturer. It may not amount to much, but at least he caught their attention. Just imagine what would happen with everyone emailing... However, I'm not endorsing that you all email pet stores and condemn their practices with pitchforks!

AquaKai said:
Here's a video of Benjamin:

Benjamin 1- A New Home - YouTube

And Here are some new and better quality pictures:

Benjamin looking for some more food:

Swimming at the bottom of the tank:

Benjamin hiding behind a plant:

Stretching out his fins:

We definitely need to work on the fin rot:

He's glad to have a new home:

Also, I agree with christine2012, this was just a 'I fell in love and can't leave you' thing. The best thing to do is to send the company emails. I actually just read that someone heard back from WalMart about the betta packages that they sell. The person said that they were not good for the health of the betta and WalMart called back and said that they would talk to the manufacturer. It may not amount to much, but at least he caught their attention. Just imagine what would happen with everyone emailing... However, I'm not endorsing that you all email pet stores and condemn their practices with pitchforks!

I don't mean to single anyone out. Just that one post jumped out at me. That's good they got their attention! Walmart is usually very adamant on keeping their customers. Look at the organic foods they sell! All because people spoke up. A few months ago, Walmart was getting ready to start selling Monsantos patented GM round up ready sweet corn. Someone started a petition, and guess what? The crap never hit their shelves! Isn't that amazing? So that really goes to show that they actually are listening. (And as much as I hate the Walmart empire, I can't believe I'm giving them credit )
But moral of the story, they will listen! I can't speak for petsmart or PETCO but I imagine they care about losing business.

But my point of my last post, was if you buy all these bettas, they're only going to restock more. By buying the ones you did, you showed them that there is a demand for them. Thus, the circle of Betta death continues. :(

I love bettas :p

I love bettas. I want to put one in my 26 gallon tank thats cycling right now, but sadly I don't think it would go well with an angelfish, which is what I would rather have:(...

I love bettas. I want to put one in my 26 gallon tank thats cycling right now, but sadly I don't think it would go well with an angelfish, which is what I would rather have:(...

Yeah I completely understand. I have a 55g with two angels and they're absolutely fun to watch, they're very graceful and they like to swim together. I would definitely go for the angels too. There are always other aquariums:brows: Plus bettas need around 5g min, although mine is in a 2.5 which is the absolute min. Which they both don't take up to much space!

Let the multiple tank syndrome begin!:devilish:

Also, I'll be posting more pictures very soon. He's very photogenic!

Here are some new pictures of Benjamin (Benji), yes I gave him a nickname:D

The dark and mysterious setting:
img_2013869_0_04187233e39a020bfd8f5bc3124e0b83.jpg

He really likes showing off his fins:
img_2013869_1_e1cb4e08fc1bec784828d1d199170e86.jpg

Front view. It looks like he has green freckles:)
img_2013869_2_906a291c0701e85ea7e282863acaabbc.jpg

Just keep swimming:
img_2013869_3_6eae7f9ec5734cc9b5dd283b7852ded3.jpg

You can really see some of his red in this picture:
img_2013869_4_92447829c26bd4b9138da10b689f9fce.jpg

Still more to come, I just can't upload all the pictures at once. Apparently my browser can't handle that much!

The last of the pictures:

Hiding behind his plant:
img_2013901_0_e92d2c7e6b2bed37f6470a0af23d52c4.jpg

His Home Sweet Home:
img_2013901_1_a5b339b8373b6be5ea3e1bf05b3f0d72.jpg

He loves swimming:
img_2013901_2_da0d631c90a33dbc9adda5f23813ae4a.jpg

His favorite decoration, the bell, and him:
img_2013901_3_84da59f828c5c4e7206d2d7a1087e394.jpg

My all time favorite picture of him:
img_2013901_4_27460d0f44323eb9c395b999f10dc32e.jpg

That's all folks!

Moved to New Aquisitions.

I have to say that I agree, buying the bettas from conditions you don't approve of actually gives the message that you do approve. Benji is certainly a pretty betta though. I am sure that the next betta in a dirty cup with too little water that was put on the shelf after you ought this one is pretty too though. His fins don't look too bad, so I am sure you will be able to get him good and healthy in no time. In the future, I do suggest getting your bettas from a place where you approve of their treatment. But, since you already have this one, I am sure he will have a good life.

Back
Top Bottom