Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
Sounds like you might have needed to wash it some more. Either that or it was really dusty/dirty. It did clear up rather fast. Yesterday when I got home from work the water was crystal clear.

\

Did you have your filter on during the time the tank was clearing? I didn't but when i did turn it on the water cleared incredibly fast in about 2 days it was crystal clear.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I turned it off when I added it, after about 10-15 mins I ran it again with some polyfiber over the intake. It polished the water nicely. It was a little cloudy when I went to bed, when I got back from work the next day it was crystal clear. I took the polyfiber off the intake (had a little cloud which quickly settled) and that was about it.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you using to stop the fine particles from jamming the impeller?

I set mine up it looked like this

this is what it looks like this afternoon, IDK what happened but I had a bacteria bloom and its never really cleared since, water chemisty is perfect according to my LFS fish guru.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I used some polyfiber (the same I use in my filters) as a prefilter. I just wrapped some around the end of my intake to my AC50 and put a rubber band around it to hold it in place. I let that run for 12 hours and then took it off. The water was crystal clear, I did have a little cloud form when I took off the polyfiber from the intake. Other than that, no problems, the AC50 is still really quiet.

Did you change your filter media when you changed substrate? I haven't had a bacterial bloom or any ammonia readings so far. I'm not sure what would've caused you to experience a bloom and not me. I really don't have a high bioload on it now, only two small peppered cories. Maybe that could be part of it.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have such a powerful filter i don't think the impellor could get jammed easily on it.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I used some polyfiber (the same I use in my filters) as a prefilter. I just wrapped some around the end of my intake to my AC50 and put a rubber band around it to hold it in place. I let that run for 12 hours and then took it off. The water was crystal clear, I did have a little cloud form when I took off the polyfiber from the intake. Other than that, no problems, the AC50 is still really quiet.

Did you change your filter media when you changed substrate? I haven't had a bacterial bloom or any ammonia readings so far. I'm not sure what would've caused you to experience a bloom and not me. I really don't have a high bioload on it now, only two small peppered cories. Maybe that could be part of it.
your bioload is alot smaller then mine, i was doing a completel level renovation to my house and thats where the tank was originally tore it down, sat for 6 months in storage, had a 10, for 6 months set up the 26 and put the tetras and crap in there. It is a new tank still less then 8 weeks up. My bloom was natural.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colematthewmalaka View Post
I have such a powerful filter i don't think the impellor could get jammed easily on it.
youd be suprised what a grain of sand will do to the impeller. I was only 3" into the water and it was still jamming( 3rd and final penguin 150).
Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool

Quote:
Well I finally won the battle with the wifey. I convinced her to ditch the psychedelic colored gravel ?
had the same gravel when I got my second tank four years ago.

switched to red and white now.

...and I am a female..I totally take offense to that "women and there decorating"

haha. j/k.

I have an excuse for my "decorating" I'm OCD.
-Swimmers: 5 Gups Male/One Pelco(More Gups And Tetras Soon)
Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Hey I didn't say anything about women and their decorating... LOL. AMDPhenomX4 might want to lay low for a bit... haha! I know better than that! I just convinced her the fishies would like a more natural habitat!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have sand right now in my 55 gal and with live plants i have to go and stir it up every 2 weeks because the plants roots cant get through it and start growing up out of the sand. Also each plant needs its own root tab to help prevent the roots from gorwing up. Looks great though.

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com