Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Synodontis Eupterus - Featherfin Syno

Hello all,

I went shopping yesterday and happened to be passing a lfs and I had to stop in. I saw these cute looking catfish that I thought I must have. The only tag on it was "Synodontis Eupterus $5.99" I asked the young (15 or 16) employee if he knew anything about these. He said they only grow to about 3" and would be suitable in a 10 gallon tank. If any of you know what this fish is, you already know where I am going with this..

Anyways, the kid scoops him out with a net, throws him in a bag w/ water, blows in it and ties it with a rubber band. Meanwhile I'm thinking won't this guy's fin pop this bag? Surely they would've thought of that. Needless to say, I'm checking out the aisle with the drift wood and such when I noticed my shirt is wet. I look in my hand and there is a hole in the bag squirting water all over the place. I ran over to the fish area and asked for a betta dish to put him in for the ride home.

I got him home, acclimated him properly and he seems to be doing great. I will post some pictures of him later tonight once I get home. My digital camera was dead yesterday (kind of the day I was having) so I couldn't snap any pics.

My true worry is that will this guy grow up to be 8 inches like every site I read says? He is probably less than 2 inches long right now. From what I can tell from PlanetCatfish • Cat-eLog • Mochokidae • Synodontis eupterus he is most likely a juvenile. He has the exact same coloration as on that site with pretty blue eyes.

I am planning on upgrading to a 30gallon tank this spring/summer but if this guy grows fast it may have to be sooner.

PS - I also picked up 4 neons

Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Congrats. He will get bigger but they do grow fairly slowly. I am not sure the neons will be safe once he gets larger.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz View Post
Congrats. He will get bigger but they do grow fairly slowly.
That's the best news I've heard so far.

Even though it seems these fish can be rather territorial, they do well with other bottom dwellers like my cories. One of my cories and my syno was eating off the same algae wafer with no problems.

He is still rather new and seems to have already made a home in my barrels (walmart decor). He will chase any fish that comes into his barrels. Other than that it is a fascinating fish to watch. They hover over the gravel with such little effort it seems.

I have already began collecting some 2x4s for my stand. I think I'm going to start buying the parts for the tank as they go on sale. Hopefully by the time I get everything I need he'll be grown up and ready for his new home, a 30 gallon long.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Now all we need is pictures.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz View Post
Now all we need is pictures.
I know, I know... "This thread is useless without pictures!!!"

I was planning on taking some pictures yesterday when I got back from the Pens game but I was too tired.

I will post some tonight once I get home from work. Also, just a side note, I will be giving my syno to my friend to keep in her 20gal till I get my 30gal up and running.

When I picked up my syno I saw these cute little panda cories that were seriously only 1cm big. They were so cute!!!! I am going to stop back there later this weekend and hopefully they will still be there!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

As promised... the pics you've all been waiting for! Haha. The little bugger is still a little camera shy but i did get him to come out of his little cave with an algae wafer.

He does get along, oddly enough, with my cories rather well. My guppy and neons always have to investigate who is looking at them so they are in most of the shots.

I couldn't figure out how to attach them to this message so just look at my album. You can view it below:

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium & Reef Forum - meegosh's Album: 10g Freshwater

Edit: Found out how to add them in here!!! Hurray!

One of my cories and my syno sharing an algae wafer ...how cute!

Front view of my Syno, I know my glass is a little dirty.

My syno seeing what is eating his algae wafer (my guppy).

Tags
eat, synodontis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com