Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to jonraho
Tank Mates for Discus?

Hey guys,

I am heading to the fish market today, wanted to see what you guys think would make great tank mates for my 4 soon to be 6 Discus tank.

Have some in mind already, but wanted to get some opinions.

55 gal planted tank, sand bottom.

Cheers!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonraho View Post
Hey guys,

I am heading to the fish market today, wanted to see what you guys think would make great tank mates for my 4 soon to be 6 Discus tank.

Have some in mind already, but wanted to get some opinions.

55 gal planted tank, sand bottom.

Cheers!

Depends on the size of your Discus and your filtration/WC schedule. Also, hopefully you're going to QT the new ones so they don't get your existing stock sick. And also the tank mates in another QT that your looking for to add. What else is in there now and what are all your parameters ?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
Depends on the size of your Discus and your filtration/WC schedule. Also, hopefully you're going to QT the new ones so they don't get your existing stock sick. And also the tank mates in another QT that your looking for to add. What else is in there now and what are all your parameters ?
According to the breeder they are a year old, about 3,5". Filtration x2 ehiem 2215. W/C 3 times, 25%.

Yes i have a QT tank set up for new additions.

Water temp currently 28C, water is soft, low lvl to none of nitrates according to the test kit.

Looking to get a clean up crew, some schoolers. Would love some shrimps but read that they'll be an $ treat. even the larger ones lol
Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
According to the breeder they are a year old, about 3,5". Filtration x2 ehiem 2215. W/C 3 times, 25%.

Yes i have a QT tank set up for new additions.

Water temp currently 28C, water is soft, low lvl to none of nitrates according to the test kit.

Looking to get a clean up crew, some schoolers. Would love some shrimps but read that they'll be an $ treat. even the larger ones lol

I like the filtration and the QT !!! If they are a year at 3.5" I'm afraid they're a little stunted. Should be closer to 6" by then. I would up the # and volume of water changes. At least 50%. Water temp is right on !! IME/O, def no shrimp !!! Total $$$ waster for sure. As far as schoolers, I've had good luck with buenos aires and black phantoms. Never a fan of neons. Cardinals and rummy nose are usually a good match also. And for anything on the bottom I'd go with an L200.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
I like the filtration and the QT !!! If they are a year at 3.5" I'm afraid they're a little stunted. Should be closer to 6" by then. I would up the # and volume of water changes. At least 50%. Water temp is right on !! IME/O, def no shrimp !!! Total $$$ waster for sure. As far as schoolers, I've had good luck with buenos aires and black phantoms. Never a fan of neons. Cardinals and rummy nose are usually a good match also. And for anything on the bottom I'd go with an L200.
hmm thats no good lol. They dont show signs of s stunted fish though, all seems in proportions. Could have miss understood the breeder. I don't speak thai and they only speak thai so yeah haha.

here's a close up of the grp

Yea thought so on the shrimp. bugger cause i love seeing them get to work in the tank haha.

That much more water changes huh? Easily done so no biggy.

Do like both black phantoms and the buenos aires, might mix around with a some Cardinals or rasboras. Not a fan of the L200, was thinking some cory pandas maybe? I have 4 hillstream loach, they looked cool, so bought them a while ago, was an impulsive buy didn't read much on them XD.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

btw treemanone2003 able to ID the strain of Discus? I have the names written in thai so no idea =D

Asked around and was told, Snow white, blue turquoise and pigeon ? heard right or way off?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ended up getting Cardinals, Cory Pandas and 2 loaches. standard i guess haha. Getting 2 more Discus on thursday, didn't have the strain i wanted.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cory Pandas do better long term in Cooler water. C sterbai are most commonly added to Discus tanks.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=316

Hillstream Loaches also need cool water with high flow. Opposite of Discus.
http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane
http://www.loaches.com/species-index...hterm=Sewellia

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
btw treemanone2003 able to ID the strain of Discus? I have the names written in thai so no idea =D

Asked around and was told, Snow white, blue turquoise and pigeon ? heard right or way off?

Sorry for the delay. Yes those all appear to be labeled properly. They also look to have nice shape to them ( round as opposed to football ). And nice wide foreheads too. It is quite common for the PB's and Albino to have difficulty eating sometimes but that's a genetic trait and nothing to do with the fish itself. The only thing I'm not find of ( it's just personal preference ) is the albino with the non red eye.

As Coursair points out below, the pandas are better suited for a cooler temp and the sterbai a warmer temp. I might consider trying to change if possible.

FWIW, I've been back and forth with another newbie Discus keeper here and after a couple of times recommending to him to increase his volume and frequency of WC's, he followed up with how much of a great turn around he's had with them. He had thoughts of quitting and moving on to something else but I helped him stick with it and he loves them that much more. They come up and eat from his hands, more personable and they all get along much better. Simply from sticking his hands in the tank more often. If you've got any other questions or problems or thoughts, just pm me. I'm always around somewhere.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Cory Pandas do better long term in Cooler water. C sterbai are most commonly added to Discus tanks.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=316

Hillstream Loaches also need cool water with high flow. Opposite of Discus.
http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane
http://www.loaches.com/species-index...hterm=Sewellia

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the links. Yea the hillstream was one of those impulsive buys and had them in my smaller community tank, but though they'd like the longer tank. Might bring them back and trade.

ALOT of the links I read said any cory would do sigh.. It's gonna be a pain to net them up now cause they are tiny juvs lol.

Sent from my C6602 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
ate, discus, mate, tan, tank, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com