Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank size?!?

Hello all. Recently I've been wanting to get a new tank. But can't decide on the size. I'm lookin for either a 20 or 29 gallon tank. What kind of tank would you prefer of I want to plants. And what determines of the tank is high or long?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd always go bigger if you can. More water means more stability and long or high is determined by the tank style. 20l is 30 inches long while the high is only 24" long but taller.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also is it better to buy stuff separately or buy a kit. I was looking at my LFS and they have a 20 gallon kit for $100 or a 29 gallon kit for $130. Both kits come with tank, hood with florescent light, filter, heater, and thermometer/net.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tank is determined by the fish. It's best to decide upon some must have fish then build around that. The worst feeling is wanting a fish that gets to big for your tank. I'd also go with the 29 as it gives you more options for fish. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy
The tank is determined by the fish. It's best to decide upon some must have fish then build around that. The worst feeling is wanting a fish that gets to big for your tank. I'd also go with the 29 as it gives you more options for fish. Good luck.
How many cichlids could I have in a 20 compared too a 29. Do they all grow around the same size? Also would a couple Cory work too?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler3533

How many cichlids could I have in a 20 compared too a 29. Do they all grow around the same size? Also would a couple Cory work too?
The number of cichlids that fit in those tanks is relatively small, your pretty much looking at shell dweller or dwarfs for the most part. Either Way IMO you could only keep a pair of dwarfs in either tank.

Tags
tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com