Tank size?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. Recently I've been wanting to get a new tank. But can't decide on the size. I'm lookin for either a 20 or 29 gallon tank. What kind of tank would you prefer of I want to plants. And what determines of the tank is high or long?

I'd always go bigger if you can. More water means more stability and long or high is determined by the tank style. 20l is 30 inches long while the high is only 24" long but taller.

Also is it better to buy stuff separately or buy a kit. I was looking at my LFS and they have a 20 gallon kit for $100 or a 29 gallon kit for $130. Both kits come with tank, hood with florescent light, filter, heater, and thermometer/net.

The tank is determined by the fish. It's best to decide upon some must have fish then build around that. The worst feeling is wanting a fish that gets to big for your tank. I'd also go with the 29 as it gives you more options for fish. Good luck.

somethingsfishy said:
The tank is determined by the fish. It's best to decide upon some must have fish then build around that. The worst feeling is wanting a fish that gets to big for your tank. I'd also go with the 29 as it gives you more options for fish. Good luck.

How many cichlids could I have in a 20 compared too a 29. Do they all grow around the same size? Also would a couple Cory work too?

Tyler3533 said:
How many cichlids could I have in a 20 compared too a 29. Do they all grow around the same size? Also would a couple Cory work too?

The number of cichlids that fit in those tanks is relatively small, your pretty much looking at shell dweller or dwarfs for the most part. Either Way IMO you could only keep a pair of dwarfs in either tank.

Back
Top Bottom