Tetras can be so similar-Golden Pristella Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone got the Coffee bean tetras? I just got a school of 6 coffee beans yesterday, thinking they were lemon tetra's but only to realize later that they are coffee bean but not lemon.

Lemons as far as looked over internet, they have much broader body like the Phantoms and they have reddish tint on the eyes.

Any special req for the coffee beans?

Not much info on internet.

That is kinda a nice mistake, as I haven't seen these guys around in shops!

Another confusion.. the ones I got are Pristella Tetras (XRay Fish) :)

This was a epic confusion for me as well as the fish store guy!!

He gave me telling its lemons, and I thought they were coffee beans only to find out later that coffee beans have slightly bigger black dot on their belly :)

ROFL... they seem very similar!!!

The X-Ray are also called Golden Tetra, maybe the start of the confusion in the first place!!! Sometimes the over sea shippers do not get the name right.

Sometimes they look like something else but color up later.

Do you have a pic?

Last edited:
Reading through this peaked my curiosity and I had to google the two to see the differences. Both are pretty. The red eyes of the lemon are kinda freaky.

They do look very similar. A very pretty fish in its own right.

Yup, it does look like you finally got the variety sorted out!!! Those are pretty too. But you are right not quite the same body or eye as the Lemon, very similar in color/pattern though!

Reading through this peaked my curiosity and I had to google the two to see the differences. Both are pretty. The red eyes of the lemon are kinda freaky.

Yes right and their shape is a bit different too, more like the phantoms

Yup, it does look like you finally got the variety sorted out!!! Those are pretty too. But you are right not quite the same body or eye as the Lemon, very similar in color/pattern though!

Yes finally :) I wanted to get the bloodfins.. but then these looked different and I ended up buying these. Planning to get a school of cardinals after a month or so

Yes pretty and very active.. :) you should see them go like bullets during feeding
I just got some pristellas last week, and they are hilarious to watch when I feed them! It's the highlight of my morning lol.

Back
Top Bottom