The new guy and the new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shuakun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody I'm new to fish owneing business and wanted to get some opinons about my current set up. Any kind of criticism is welcome and would be appreciated. I currently have a set up that was spread out over two tanks that were 29 gallons longs each. I then had to move to a new appartment and so I decied to condense my two tanks into one by purchasing a 18'' deep 36'' length 21'' and a 1/4 tall which is 59 gallons tank.

This is my set up:

Lighting:
36" MarineLand LED / Moonlight Auto Timer.

Filteration:
55/75 Aqueon Quiet Flow 400GPH
SunSun HW-303B 4-Stage External Filter 370GPH W/ 9W UV Sterilizer

Aeration:
Tetra Whisper AP150

Now all these are brand new and working wonderfully! MY tank is crystal clear with the amount of fish I have.

My Fish:

9 Albino Coryodoras
7 Golden Dojo's
1 BN Pleco
1 Chinese Algae Eater
4 Silver Tipped Tetra
2 Stripped Danios

I plan on giving the 4 Silver Tipped Tetras, 2 Danios, and the Chinese Algae Eater back to a LFS.

I also have white micro pebble for the base in my tank with 2 large peices of drift wood and plenty of plants for hideing.

I really would like to cut down on the dojo loach count by 4 and the corys by 3. That way I could possibly have room for 2/3 Clown loaches (yes I know they can outgrow the tank quickly I enjoy them for the company) and or a BGK / Elephant Nose. I understand the BGK should be kept in tanks upwards to the 200+ Gallon but ive also heard of people having no problem keeping them in a 55. I once had one in my 29 gallon long for a year or so before Katrina. Im really about having social fish that are not only enjoyable to watch and handle but something I can really sit down and be marveled at. I really enjoy doing tons of homework on the fish I love and the best ways to keep my fish happiest and healthiest! Please any advice is welcomed. Thank you :D

Kudos on planning to return the CAE. They are often perceived/sold as essential or must have fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tank is too small for clown loaches, I wouldn't do them. And dojo loaches prefer cooler water, so I would maybe rehome all of them and go for something different altogether. Angelicus loaches, zebra loaches or kuhli loaches would be a good option. Keep in mind that nearly all loaches sold in the hobby require groups of at least 5 and the more the better, so I would get a big group of one species.

Your tank is too small for clown loaches, I wouldn't do them. And dojo loaches prefer cooler water, so I would maybe rehome all of them and go for something different altogether. Angelicus loaches, zebra loaches or kuhli loaches would be a good option. Keep in mind that nearly all loaches sold in the hobby require groups of at least 5 and the more the better, so I would get a big group of one species.

Im actually super glad you saw my thread! I was just checking out some other forums and saw your "Loach" profile XD 21?! Thats amazing! I think you may like loaches more than me! But youre absolutely correct Dojo/weather loaches do like cooler water, I had the tank set downwards near 72 degrees or so to help accommodate for this, but youre absolutely right. I was looking at "Burmese/Angelicus loaches" they seem to beautiful, Kuhli have always been an eye catcher to me, but live ive read and you've mentioned to keep them in larger groups! Do you know of BGK friendly loaches? I love my dojos they are so friendly and swim around my arm when I play in the tank, they swim inbetween my fingers and are just a pleasure! I have a fairly large one his name is Avocado, he was my first, and omg I fell inlove with them after that XD

Im actually super glad you saw my thread! I was just checking out some other forums and saw your "Loach" profile XD 21?! Thats amazing! I think you may like loaches more than me! But youre absolutely correct Dojo/weather loaches do like cooler water, I had the tank set downwards near 72 degrees or so to help accommodate for this, but youre absolutely right. I was looking at "Burmese/Angelicus loaches" they seem to beautiful, Kuhli have always been an eye catcher to me, but live ive read and you've mentioned to keep them in larger groups! Do you know of BGK friendly loaches? I love my dojos they are so friendly and swim around my arm when I play in the tank, they swim inbetween my fingers and are just a pleasure! I have a fairly large one his name is Avocado, he was my first, and omg I fell inlove with them after that XD

I am a little bit of a loach nut. As for BGK safe fish, I don't have much experience with them but I know they get large so i would stick to keeping just large loaches like clown loaches with them.

Back
Top Bottom