Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tiny snail in my tank!!!

Hi there, I found a tiny little snail in my aquarium, it must have been on a couple of the live plants I bought to put in there.
My 6 rasbora dont seem bothered, I'm happy for it to stay in there, but just wondering if it will have any long term effects or will it need any extra care?

Regards,

A new aquarium owner

Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it was me, I'd squish him. Where there is one hitchhiker snail, there are bound to be more. But it's up to you.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it was on the plant I bet you have a BUNCH more that you haven't seen yet.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
To be honest, people exaggerate over snails. They are interesting to look at and are not really a nuisance with proper care. But if you over feed, you will definitely see an over population

But again it depends on the snail. Pictures would help
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had two tanks completely overrun with snails and they have destroyed numerous plants. But I do tend to feed on the heavy side. When you get your plants check for little globs of clear sticky stuff on the leaves and wash it off. Those are the eggs. Best of luck.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle
I've had two tanks completely overrun with snails and they have destroyed numerous plants. But I do tend to feed on the heavy side. When you get your plants check for little globs of clear sticky stuff on the leaves and wash it off. Those are the eggs. Best of luck.
Hey thanks for coming back to me! After reading ur post, I inspected my plants, they are not looking very healthy, the leaves all look brownish, could this be the work of such a tiny snail?? Do harlequins eat the leaves? If I find more than one snail, I'll get rid of em I think
Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar
To be honest, people exaggerate over snails. They are interesting to look at and are not really a nuisance with proper care. But if you over feed, you will definitely see an over population

But again it depends on the snail. Pictures would help
Hey thanks, I saw it earlier but now it's hiding again! I'll try n get a pic for ya!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPz View Post
Hey thanks for coming back to me! After reading ur post, I inspected my plants, they are not looking very healthy, the leaves all look brownish, could this be the work of such a tiny snail?? Do harlequins eat the leaves? If I find more than one snail, I'll get rid of em I think
I doubt the little snail hurt your plants. My plants that have been hurt by the hoards of snails tend to have lots of little holes in them.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #9

I am a newbie here. Got a tank with fake plants, so I was surprised to see a little snail in my tank. I thought it was cute and useful. However I started to see a lot more. I took out the plants and washed them out. I counted 70 snails from tiny to medium sized and took them all out. The next day after I had put the plants back in, I saw four more snail, and in no time they were all over the place again. So I got 3 killers snails and saw them go at it, but I think they are a bit slow. I was told that I needed to get more to deal with the overpopulation of the other snails, but instead I got a Yoyo Loach that eat snails. A lot more effective I think as it never stops eating the eggs (I'm assuming that's what it does when it nibbles on the fake plant leaves) and the snails (which is entertaining to watch). As it grows I should probably prepare myself to see it also eat the killer snails, which currently are probably to big for it to eat at this moment. I was just very impressed by the speed by which the sails reproduce!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #10

This is crazy, i changed my tank but didn't clean the plants before I put then in with my new gravel and setup now I keep finding baby snails every other day!!

Little buggers are everywhere, I keep fishing them out and flushing them away but every other day I find another!

Ahhhh!!

Tags
snail, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com