To paint, or not to paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a used 58 gallon tank. I have been cleaning and cleaning, and now that the glass is nice and clear I am debating painting it. My other tank is painted with a nice faux stone look and a Celtic tree of life is painted in the center. I love the way it looks. For this tank I am debating doing another mural, or perhaps just a solid color or pattern. I dot really want to paint it black because I want to put some black angelfish in it, and I fear they would get lost in the background. The tanks going to be fairly natural, but with a few whimsical ornaments. I have some nice hand blown glass pieces made by a friend that have been the focal point of the tank this one is replacing for a couple years, and I wan to keep it. The substrate will be a mix of black sand and black gravel. Anyone have any ideas?

I've seen it too, and while I like the color in general, it just reminds me of pet store tanks. Light blue has always seemed to be a popular color for the backgrounds of tanks at fish stores, particularly bad fish stores. So I kind of associate it with tanks of sickly fish.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a DIY foam background. Got graduation money today, and I'm planning a trip to Hobby Lobby after work tomorrow for inspiration.

Woo! I settled on a mottled green background. I got five shades of green paint, mixing jars, and sponges.

Personally, I wouldn't paint a tank, as i prefer having a tank with 2 fronts, should I ever need to turn it around.

BillD said:
Personally, I wouldn't paint a tank, as i prefer having a tank with 2 fronts, should I ever need to turn it around.

Acrylics come off very easily with a razor blade if I ever want to change it up, thankfully. And one DIY thread coming up. Doing a little research and then I'm going to start. I've decided that amongst the marbled green, I am going to hide some lovecraftian runes and images, and some tangled vine shapes, also in the same shades of green. Cthulhu fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Because I am a dork like that.

Back
Top Bottom