Too Good to be true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornchen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

Not quite an introduction ( going to post one soon lol ) but hopefully one quick question. When I was in high school I had a 55 gal with African Cichlids and loved them but had to get rid of everything when I joined the Corps - now I'm 27 ( old man right haha ) and the wife has agreed that I can finally get back into the hobby - well, it was this or a new rifle so I figured I'd play my cards on this one!!

Long story short - I found a 75 Gallon 'kit' - wood stand, heater, filter, media, hoods, lights everything for 430 bucks. It was originally 500 but I was chatting with the guy and since its a mom and pop shop I dropped the 'does cash made a difference' question and sure enough. Is this too good to be true?

Filter is over the back rated for 100 gallon tank - I was going to try to 'swap out/upgrade' for a canister in the 360gph range ( not sure on name brands of any, but I know they are not Eheim ) and better lights, better heater ETC - is 500 dollars a good price for the 'full setup' or should I save up for some higher quality items? Oh yeah, its also delivered and put into the house by the company.

Thank you in advance everyone,
Hornchen
Semper Fi

First off thanks for serving! I would suggest craiglist first for the tank. There is allways good deals onthere. I have a 75 with a fluval fx5 filter ($225). Depending on what your looking for set up wise you will allways upgrade. So it's best do it from the start.

Craiglist is a good place to look, depending where you live. No good deals on tanks in my area! So I would probably get the 75 gal kit and go from there and upgrade later. The heater and filter can always be used on another tank! :)

Good call - I have seen a few things on craigslist but they are in the 250 to 350 range for the 75 gal tank/stand alone and I also would have to haul it myself ( 4 door car ). I can call in a favor from a buddy to help though - so I will keep checking craigslist!

My main thing is as Reefdiver said, I would rather save a bit longer and get the upgrades from the start. A friend of mine started a 90 gallon a month or so ago and he dropped around a grand getting it going - the $400 price tag just seemed 'too good to be true' but it sounds like my buddy might have overpaid.

EDIT: Forgot to say my setup haha! I used to have a planted setup with about 18-20 cichlids, 2 pleco, syno cat, bamboo shrimp ( they didn't last long ) and a crawfish who surprisingly lived for a long time, got just under the size of my fist. I know I had waaay too many fish ( they didn't fight too much, but waste was a big issue ) and I will never do plants with cichlids again ( constantly were digging them up or ate them to the roots within a week ). I still have about 60 lbs of rocks ( lava rock, doughnut type <hole in the middle>, flat slate type and round river rocks ) and would like to run with the rocks in the back, lots of caves/ledges/hiding spots and what not. I also had driftwood in the old tank, but I think since it has been in the shed for almost 10 years, I might just toss it haha.

I know I will be putting in a decent amount of fish, so filtration is a large point on my radar. I have read 8x's an hour is ideal, but that puts me into the 600gph range - do I really need to go that high or would 5x's an hour ( 375 gph ) be sufficient?

Thanks again,
Hornchen
Semper Fi

Edit the edit - HA!
Found a picture of my old tank

img_1716516_0_34a97aa5d477e01725e6ae37b2b52873.jpg

I think I messed up on the last edit - please delete if dupe! Thanks!!

Good idea on the craigslist! I have checked a few out, but they are in the 250 to 350 range for a 75 gallon tank with stand and I would have to haul it myself ( 4 door car ) but I do have a buddy who owes me a favor, so I might have to check on craigslist more!

As Reefdiver said, I would rather save a little longer and get the upgrades from the start rather than 'getting by' until I can get those upgrades. I am planning on putting in a decent amount of fish and have heard that 8x's ( 600 gph ) is ideal, but would 5x's ( 375 gph ) be sufficient or should I just stick with the 8x + per hour?

As far as my 'ideal' setup, I used to have a planted tank with 18-20 fish, cichlids, silver dollars, 2 pleco, syno cat, bamboo shrimp ( they didn't last long ) and a crawfish who surprisingly lasted a long time, was just smaller than my fist at the end. I will never do a planted tank with cichlids again, they either dug them up or ate them down to the roots. I also had some drift wood in the old tank but since it has been sitting in the shed for almost 10 years, I think I'll toss it haha.

Here is a pic of my old tank
img_1716548_0_34a97aa5d477e01725e6ae37b2b52873.jpg

Thanks again,
Hornchen
Semper Fi

I knw I've seen some 120 GL tanks at petsmart for $330 and u can build a stand. I think I paid like $220 for my 75. Built a 2x4 stand for it. But it's not finished and I only spent like $25. Filtration is allways best to go higher, but u can manage with a 5x as long as you keep up with your water changes.

$400+ is high IMO for a 75 unless the stand and canopy are super nice.

Good gosh - craigslist is not the place for a deal!!

Looking through the St. Louis for sale items under fish tanks or aquariums brought up a lot of options, but people asking 700 for a 75, 900 for a 90, one 60 gal bow front with no stand they wanted to sell for 250 bucks!! sigh.

Saw a couple places online that do the acrylic tanks - they will ship to the house and I can always build a stand but I'm debating if it is worth just buying and having them put it in haha.

So - I am off to the gun show in a couple hours, if nothing is priced right I am going to head over to the mom and pop store - how much do you think I should offer?

75 gallon tank, stand, hood, lights, heater and upgrading to the Rena xP 3 - shoot him a price of 400 and see what he says or try even lower?

Thanks again everyone and sorry for the newbie questions!
Hornchen
Semper Fi

Back
Top Bottom