Turbinaria Stellulata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Newest addition. (Coral... not the fish!)

img_882010_0_9d559cf6a6d79e7df43a725b7ec42f20.jpg

Seems like Funshine (the fish) is giving it a "fins up".

aww clown gobys are my favorite but they keep picking at my acros so they had to go :( maybe ill find another clown that will leave them alone
Kinda purple under my lights. Kinda purplish/brownish.

Oooohhh! That's nice......new lfs I'm missing or the usual place? (Calling in sick tomorrow-thinking of visiting lfs in your neck of the woods)

MsBeanCtr... actually, I got this one from the good doctors the day before you got your new batch from them. Diver's Den... maricultured section.

An t-iasg... most of them are opened, but this coral has really small polyps. They'll open a little more than that, but not much.

Was posting pictures tonight, so I figured I'd post an update. Here it is, two and a half months later...

img_906551_0_2aa1ae38c92ae8749ed360999038c256.jpg

Definitely more purple, and definitely growing. Note the new plate/branch that's forming near the top center.

Definatly a big difference there. It is looking good. I can hardly wait to upgrade my lights so I can get some more interesting stuff for my tank.

Wow, that's a very nice coral. Where in the tank do you have it placed? (I'm curious about the lighting requirements)

Have it about 1/3 the way down in a 46g bowfront, under 196W CF lighting. It's hanging off the side of a rock, like a shelf, getting pretty stong indirect flow. I'll see if I can get a "bigger picture" picture up in the next couple of days.

Oh... I'm also starting to doubt the original species that I called it. Even though I bought it as a "Turbinaria stellulata", after I read about that species in my new Veron books, I'm doubting it. The stellulata species is mostly an encrusting coral, and I'm just not seeing that in this one. The corallites look like a stellulata, but it also looks kinda like some of the other Turbinaria species too. It's definitely Turbinara... but not sure after that.

Doesn't reading all the different coral names give you a headache. I studyed some and after about 10 min I gave up. I guess if I had the cash to purchase some I would be a little more excited to study them. What is the name of the book you are reading Kurt???

Actually, the book is pretty interesting - in a coral nerd type of way. It gives hints about care, but not really. It just tells you where the coral is normally found which you then have to translate/guess what that means for care. For the most part, the books are for ID purposes and aren't meant to be aquarium coral care books. That's where I think the Borneman book (Aquarium Corals) is pretty good. The book(s) are "Corals of the World" by J.E.N. Veron. It's a 3-volume set and comes in a tad under 20 lbs! (My birthday present this year!)

MsBeanCtr... here's a wider angle shot of where the coral is in my tank:

img_908034_0_e8286f8a47e70d30b0546746abb95a53.jpg

And yes... I definitely have bubble algae with a live rock problem. :)

To my eyes, it has grown much more purple. It seems quite a bit larger to me as well. I am however, very inexperienced at viewing corals with any knowledge. I just really like the way they look.

Back
Top Bottom