Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do you have nitrite and nitrate tests? It might be worth checking the readings. Nitrite is just as poisonous to fish as ammonia and you might see an increase in it now the ammonia has gone. Just a thought.

Glad your fish are starting to feel better

Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

no I don't have testers how ever I do have a nitrate chemical I add to the water once a month to 2 times a month to make sure everything stays in balance

Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
no I don't have testers how ever I do have a nitrate chemical I add to the water once a month to 2 times a month to make sure everything stays in balance

Um..... If you don't have test kits... Uh... How do you know it's in balance ???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi Corylover

I appreciate that it might seem like a bit of a hassle but I really think you should get some test kits, especially as you are adding other chemicals to the water.

The minimum really is an ammonia test, nitrite and nitrate test. Ammonia and nitrite should both be at 0 and nitrate should be below 40 (and preferably lower)

All of these are poisonous to fish and can cause the problems you've described. They can be present in source water, which is why its important to check at least weekly, and daily if there are problems.

I've found the API liquid tests are the most accurate. I wouldn't bother with the test strips.

I'm sorry if we seem to be 'hung up' on the water issue, but it is a massive part of fish keeping and keeping them happy, safe and healthy. We can't really help if we don't have water test readings to help us.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was told that I just needed ammonia and ph but I think however that my ammonia also detects nitrite and nitrate but I will speak further with my lfs. I will say though that I know it was parasites cause I could see them on the glass. also I broke my rule and save a betta from walmart they were going to throw it away(it is still alive). IT'S QUARENTINED IN A 2.5G WITH ANTIBIOTICS RUNNING THROUGH THE SYSTEM. the real legit hard core stuff not some mambe pambe stuff. and yes it works cause that's what the dojo is having running through his system. seperatly.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
I was told that I just needed ammonia and ph but I think however that my ammonia also detects nitrite and nitrate but I will speak further with my lfs. I will say though that I know it was parasites cause I could see them on the glass. also I broke my rule and save a betta from walmart they were going to throw it away(it is still alive). IT'S QUARENTINED IN A 2.5G WITH ANTIBIOTICS RUNNING THROUGH THE SYSTEM. the real legit hard core stuff not some mambe pambe stuff. and yes it works cause that's what the dojo is having running through his system. seperatly.

I would throw some caution to the wind here about speaking with your LFS. Either they're working on commission and you're going to go broke dealing with them, or they're not very qualified at their job. Liquid test kits only detect single elements. Ammo, nitrate, nitrite, pH, etc. Test strips detect multiple elements but are not very accurate at all. IMO they're worthless. As well with strips, (API brand) ammo is it's own test.

Hopefully your betta will recover in the hospital tank. Could you elaborate on what parasite you saw and what the "real legit hard core stuff" is that your using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry miss spoke read my ammonia test kit bottles wrong so yes your right they are just for ammonia and I have some for ph as I said I will look into getting nitrite and nitrate although in the pass I did have test strip and rarely had any issues. what I think he meant was that was the main ones I needed right then and there and no he isn't thease fools at main chains he has been in business since 1963. the confusion was my fault cause I didn't make myself clear. here is a pic of the betta

also the parasites look like white hair like worms very small how ever I don't know what other things he could've carried that went straight to the gravel which is why only the bottom dwellers were attacked not the top. also the anti biotic I cant remember the name but they are the best stuff around. which I got for free thanks to lfs. who is a really nice guy that allows me to get things sometimes and pay later. also he always finds a way to give me a deal really nice knowledgeable person and like I said it was my miss spoke that was the issue XD.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Old 10-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

new betta cleaning his tank he has been with me 5 days now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...XM0T3Uj34w#t=0
yes I have dťcor just took a video when I was cleaning everything and doing water changes

Tags
ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com