Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Upgrading fro 10 gl to 20gl long

I ordered my 20 gallon long and it should be arriving in a few days. Right now we have a 10 gallon. It is stocked (probably overstocked that is why we are getting a bigger tank) with 2 platys, 2 glofish ( I think that is what they are), 2 algae eaters, one looks like a dwarf catfish, the other is long and skinny, one fancy male guppy, and two baby male guppies, one male betta, and one pleco. We used to have a lot more guppies because they kept having babies like crazy! I took all of the females back to the pet shop. Our tank is planted with a gravel substrate. I'm new to the aquarium world and I'm trying to decide if I should switch to sand in my new tank and what I should stock it with. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-656085967.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	199907  

Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you go with another substrate, make sure you take a good handful of the gravel in your ten gallon and place it into clean unused pantyhose and tie it off. Place it in the new tank to give it a jump start on bacteria.

If that pleco is a common you might want to save your old ten gallon just for him, they grow fast and grow big.

Always stock about about one inch of fish per gallon of water. Sometimes exceptions can be made, but require over filtration and advanced care.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Our pleco is still really small. When he starts out growing my tank we will tank him to my sisters boyfriends grandma ( lol that sounds like a lot). She has a 55 gallon and she doesn't have a pleco. Right now he is really happy! He loves staying in the back by our heater
Old 10-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just wanted to share the pic of my new 20L. I got the black sand in today! Just added it and have moved one plant to see go it will do with my light. Excited to start adding more things and get this cycle finished
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-782166430.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	200725  
Old 10-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by callylynn View Post
Just wanted to share the pic of my new 20L. I got the black sand in today! Just added it and have moved one plant to see go it will do with my light. Excited to start adding more things and get this cycle finished
After seeing so many black background tanks, the blue is quite refreshing! Who makes this tank? Other specs (filter, lights, etc). Black sand is looks nice. I like the consistency of color; I have black EcoComplete but it has some non-black grains mixed in (gray, red, tan).

I saw the SpongeBob theme in the 10g. My wife keeps suggesting that a pineapple under the sea decoration would look neat. I try to limit my fish talk with her
Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
After seeing so many black background tanks, the blue is quite refreshing! Who makes this tank? Other specs (filter, lights, etc). Black sand is looks nice. I like the consistency of color; I have black EcoComplete but it has some non-black grains mixed in (gray, red, tan). I saw the SpongeBob theme in the 10g. My wife keeps suggesting that a pineapple under the sea decoration would look neat. I try to limit my fish talk with her
Well thank you!! I quite like the blue too. The tank is a clear for life acrylic. I have an aqua tech 40 running. The sand is the black aquarium sand sold by petco. It was super easy to rinse and settled almost instantly (with the exception if some bubbles that I got rid of by pushing them with a plastic cup). I have added my slate caves and I am waiting on my driftwood to get here. My daughters picked out the spongebob theme! So I'm sure they will make their way into the new tank. That is of we don't keep the 10g running. My 4 year old is trying to convince me to put it in her room. I'm tempted to do it and keep our betta in there. Lol I want a pair of German blue rams!!
Added a pic of one of the caves we created!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3433686891.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	201056  
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and I have the aquaeon led modular. Right now it has one day light bulb and the moon glow feature. I have ordered a second day light and a color max bulb. I'm hoping they do okay for my pkants
Old 10-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I hope so too. I am not familiar with the model. You can use the search feature in this forum for threads mentioning this product. I did a Google search and found a review from another forum: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=196712

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com