Upgrading fro 10 gl to 20gl long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I ordered my 20 gallon long and it should be arriving in a few days. Right now we have a 10 gallon. It is stocked (probably overstocked that is why we are getting a bigger tank) with 2 platys, 2 glofish ( I think that is what they are), 2 algae eaters, one looks like a dwarf catfish, the other is long and skinny, one fancy male guppy, and two baby male guppies, one male betta, and one pleco. We used to have a lot more guppies because they kept having babies like crazy! I took all of the females back to the pet shop. Our tank is planted with a gravel substrate. I'm new to the aquarium world and I'm trying to decide if I should switch to sand in my new tank and what I should stock it with. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image-656085967.jpg
    image-656085967.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 129
If you go with another substrate, make sure you take a good handful of the gravel in your ten gallon and place it into clean unused pantyhose and tie it off. Place it in the new tank to give it a jump start on bacteria.

If that pleco is a common you might want to save your old ten gallon just for him, they grow fast and grow big.

Always stock about about one inch of fish per gallon of water. Sometimes exceptions can be made, but require over filtration and advanced care.

Our pleco is still really small. When he starts out growing my tank we will tank him to my sisters boyfriends grandma ( lol that sounds like a lot). She has a 55 gallon and she doesn't have a pleco. Right now he is really happy! He loves staying in the back by our heater

Just wanted to share the pic of my new 20L. I got the black sand in today! Just added it and have moved one plant to see go it will do with my light. Excited to start adding more things and get this cycle finished :)

Attachments

• image-782166430.jpg
    image-782166430.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 116
Just wanted to share the pic of my new 20L. I got the black sand in today! Just added it and have moved one plant to see go it will do with my light. Excited to start adding more things and get this cycle finished :)

After seeing so many black background tanks, the blue is quite refreshing! Who makes this tank? Other specs (filter, lights, etc). Black sand is looks nice. I like the consistency of color; I have black EcoComplete but it has some non-black grains mixed in (gray, red, tan).

I saw the SpongeBob theme in the 10g. My wife keeps suggesting that a pineapple under the sea decoration would look neat. I try to limit my fish talk with her :)

After seeing so many black background tanks, the blue is quite refreshing! Who makes this tank? Other specs (filter, lights, etc). Black sand is looks nice. I like the consistency of color; I have black EcoComplete but it has some non-black grains mixed in (gray, red, tan). I saw the SpongeBob theme in the 10g. My wife keeps suggesting that a pineapple under the sea decoration would look neat. I try to limit my fish talk with her :)

Well thank you!! I quite like the blue too. The tank is a clear for life acrylic. I have an aqua tech 40 running. The sand is the black aquarium sand sold by petco. It was super easy to rinse and settled almost instantly (with the exception if some bubbles that I got rid of by pushing them with a plastic cup). I have added my slate caves and I am waiting on my driftwood to get here. My daughters picked out the spongebob theme! So I'm sure they will make their way into the new tank. That is of we don't keep the 10g running. My 4 year old is trying to convince me to put it in her room. I'm tempted to do it and keep our betta in there. Lol I want a pair of German blue rams!!
Added a pic of one of the caves we created!

Attachments

• image-3433686891.jpg
    image-3433686891.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 127
Oh and I have the aquaeon led modular. Right now it has one day light bulb and the moon glow feature. I have ordered a second day light and a color max bulb. I'm hoping they do okay for my pkants

Thanks! I added my color max bulb today. Can't wait to see my fish in there under the light! I should get my other day light next week. I'm guess the plants will do fine. Keeping fingers crossed!

I have added the driftwood and my plants!! I checked my water levels again today and my cycle is done. Yay! I moved my pleco over to see how he would do and will slowly add a few fish at a time. Trying to decide what to add. My daughter convinced me to keep our 10g running and out it in her room.
We will keep our 3 guppies, 2 glofish and 1 betta in the 10.

The 20g will start out with our pleco and our two platys. I really want a pair of GBRs and a school of some kind

Attachments

• image-916584188.jpg
    image-916584188.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 94
Will those roots attach to the driftwood??

Attachments

• image-3992776021.jpg
    image-3992776021.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 95
We went to the local pet shop and picked up 4 albino cory cats and three tiger barbs (that is all they had) we are acclimating them and adding them to our tank today! Our frogs should be here Thursday and the pet shop is ordering our German blue rams!!! Yay

We went to the local pet shop and picked up 4 albino cory cats and three tiger barbs (that is all they had) we are acclimating them and adding them to our tank today! Our frogs should be here Thursday and the pet shop is ordering our German blue rams!!! Yay

You've been busy. Aside from the shrimp and snails I bought this year, last October I purchased 6 longfin danios and 3-4 years ago i got 4 gold tetras. Still have them. Spent more on plants and plant related supplies.

Question: Will the frogs be okay with the tiger barbs?

The barbs are still small. And inch each, maybe less. So far they have been very calm and keeping to themselves. I hope they are oak with the frogs. Guess I should look it up and see if I can find anything.

From what I've read the barbs are not compatible with the frogs. I think I will try and see what happens. If they try to nip the frogs I will take them back.

I took the tiger barbs to the elementary school science teacher today. She has a 55 g with 4-5 already in it. They didn't bother the frogs but they were nipping at my pair of GBRs. My tank is nice and peaceful now. Lol

Back
Top Bottom