Upgrading tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
*moderator, I wasn't really sure where this thread fit, so please move it if it belongs elsewhere*

So I am in the process of upgrading my tank from a 20 gallon to a 55 gallon. I have never upgraded my tank so I am looking for some advice. The 20 gallon tank is established and fully cycled. I plan on using the filter media from the 20 gallon in order to hyper-cycle the 55 gallon. I also have driftwood and live plants that will be going in as well. I also bought some mesh netting to put the 20 gallon's substrate into and hang into the new tank to get as much of the BB i can to transfer. Unfortunately, I don't have room for both tanks, so when the 55 gallon tank goes up, the fish have to go with it. With all the things mentioned above, do you think the fish will be ok? I don't want any of them to die :( Currently in the tank are 3 mollies, 4 fancy guppies and 1 baby striped catfish.
:thanks:

I have upgraded b4 and I always transfer all water. Move all fish and plants to a clean safe container and move a small filter/bubble stone and heater. Drain all water left from the 20 gallon. Clean new tank thoroughly then add old substrate and new substrate. out tje old substrat on top of new substrate. The reason is that any biological material that is buried will continue to deteriorate and the gases can kill the fish if it is released into the water column. At least that is what I have been told. So thats how it do it. Add some water to the new tank with the old water. Do a wster drip with an with a small hose into the container of fish so that they will acclimate to the new water conditions. Tie a lose not into the hose so that it will drip and not pour in. After the fish have been acclimated, add the plants to the new tank. Let everything settle back down and then add fish to the new tank. If the water level is too low to run the filter, run a bubbler to keep the water aerated. Slowly add 1-2 gallons of water every 15-20 minutes until the new tank is full. This is taking an overly cautious approach but I believe in better safe than sorry.

This would usually go in the fresh water general discussion section but its no big deal. When switching a tank you do.t really have to do anything spectacular. I would use a Rubbermaid tote with a bubbler and heater to keep the fish in. Or even a 5g bucket with as few fish as you have. Get the tank set up and filled with temp matched water then acclimate the fish as if you had just bought them. Just be sure to acclimate them slowly by removing and adding a small portion of bag water every 5 minutes or so until the ph matches the tank water.

As for the gas bubbles in the substrate, don't worry about it. It's not harmful at all even though it can happen.

The tank it up and is currently going though a mini cycle which I kind of expected. The levels are starting to level out so by the end of this week it will be over and I can start adding some new fishes. All the fish that are in there now are doing well though. Been doing water changes twice a week until it cycles and adding some salt after water changes. They seem to like their new home :)

Back
Top Bottom