upside down catfish =]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxima423

Aquarium Advice Addict
my LFS called me yesterday and told me that they had the fish that i was asking about a month ago, they had about 8 upside down catfish but i only wanted 3 ^_^ they cut me a deal and it was a pretty nice deal if i must say

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._427671557226_542572226_5175459_5128598_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...0_427671562226_542572226_5175460_557392_n.jpg

i am stocking up for my 55g around december and they will be the first one to be introduced, but for now, they are in my 20g, only one LFS gets them and i wasnt going to wait another month, or even 3, they are still pretty small, around 1.5inches

So obviously I know nothing about FW fish, but i though upside down catfish were.. upside down...

honestly, those dont look like upside down catfish to me. I dont know why but the pattern seems off compared to the normal ones you see. Now almost all syno species of catfish swim upside down so it definatly is some sort of synodonis but it does not look like the regular species you see under "upside down catfish".

What your look like
61840_427671557226_542572226_5175459_5128598_n.jpg

And what mine look like plus the other ones i commonly see
0704_upside_down_catfish.jpg

I could completely going bonkers and be completely wrong on this but give me some more time to do research and see if i am going crazy but something dosent seem to fit with those catfish comparing. I mean the fins right but the pattern seems wrong. Either way i like them so nice pick ups. Did you get all 8?

they were labeled upside down catfish and i have seem them swimming upside down left to right for a while =P but any help would be cool, if they arent upside down catfish, ill return them and look for real ones =[

I think they are a type of syno, not sure which kind. As soon as I saw the picture I thought, "Another person got suckered into them." I got a syno eupterus when I was young and naive. The guy who sold it to me said they get 3.5" tops. After I got home with him I realized that he would grow up to be 12"+ easily. They are loud (take them out of water and you'll see what I mean) and rambunctious fish. The one I had constantly uprooted plants and knocked my rock work over. It went from a 10g, to a 30g, to a 55g and is now in a 120g cichlid tank.

I would recommend re-homing them especially since you will not have a 55g till December. They will be way to large for your 20g by then. Even then, they will probably be too large for your 55g.

Here is a pic of my upside down catfish:
12085-albums125-picture3061.jpg

And my syno:
12085-albums37-picture274.jpg

You can see what I mean by not thinking it is a eupterus. Yours look like they are missing the distinctive 'featherfin'.

Last edited:
Well you did good on IDing them. Personally i would keep them. Decembers not too far and i think they would be fine tell then. If you were close i would say bring them to me. BTW nearly every syno swims upside down and a "upside down catfish" is very in accurate.

yea, but the thing is, the 55g might have been cracked over the weekend, my grandmother was cleaning the corners on top, and she dropped something and it looks like it has a dent or a small crack T____T, got to figure out if its stable or not first... what a bummer

Back
Top Bottom