***urgent*** help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mistilynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 Gallon currently housing 2 mini lobsters, 1 Mystery Snail, 2 yellow german guppies, & 3 Blue neon guppies. The neon guppies were added yesterday afternoon (5:00pm). All looked fine & healthy. Tonight I got home from work (930pm) & one of my blue neon guppies tail looks like this! What is it? What can I do to help him? IMG_1025.jpgIMG_1024.jpgIMG_1023.jpg

Is there anything I can to do help his tail grow back??

I don’t usually administer meds so I cannot help you there. Two things, though. Keep decent water conditions through regular and consistent water changes. If the crayfish are indeed the culprits, then consider rehoming them.

Yup, what they said! Clean fresh water is key.

If these are CPO or Dwarf Brazos Crayfish not as big of a deal, but if these are the 6 inch type they they likely will attack each other in a 10G when hiding in molting. Often happens as their predatory nature and limited space/habitat in a 10G, too small of territory, imho. Some may be pretty chill but it seem with the tail snip it could be one at least isn't very chill.

Move Crays to their own space.

Fast moving fish like Zebra Danios might be a safer option to house with them, but they do hunt for snacks, it is what they do. Long flowing tails are an easy target.

Yup, what they said! Clean fresh water is key.

If these are CPO or Dwarf Brazos Crayfish not as big of a deal, but if these are the 6 inch type they they likely will attack each other in a 10G when hiding in molting. Often happens as their predatory nature and limited space/habitat in a 10G, too small of territory, imho. Some may be pretty chill but it seem with the tail snip it could be one at least isn't very chill.

Move Crays to their own space.

Fast moving fish like Zebra Danios might be a safer option to house with them, but they do hunt for snacks, it is what they do. Long flowing tails are an easy target.

I’m not sure what kind they are, they look like this IMG_1046.JPGIMG_1045.JPG

Yes, if it is around 2" long and not really getting huge, then yes it looks like Cambarellus patzcuarensis 'orange' CPO Mexican Dwarf Crayfish.

They will hunt for creatures which aren't moving fast or tend to sleep / rest in the dark times in the plants, wood and substrate areas in the tank. It is their natural job to clean up around their territory and hunt for food. The CPO are less of a danger than the big Crays obviously in part because of the claw /crushing abilities. And the bigger ones can cut a fish in half with the swift snap of the pincer.

I kept one with some Cherry shrimp and after I rehomed him, I ended up with more baby shrimp than when he was in the tank. I wouldn't say a huge difference but I believe noticeable. Shrimp are pretty fast if they are paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom