URGENT!!! I'm a new tank owner an my platty is Prego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristineO

Aquarium Advice Regular
As I said, my plattyfish is pregnant. She is very and very aggressive and has nipped 3 fish an actually 2 of them died because of their wounds... I need some advise about how to handle her.....when will she give birth? How many fry will she have? How much should I feed her? Please help :$ I didn't intend for her to be Prego ..... -.-

I have put a wall in, but I'm not sure what to do when it actually has babies

Well I had a similar situation it was a Molly isolating her is the right thing to do. Once she has the babies, you can get a separate tank for the babies and nurse them. Until you have to get rid of a bunch of fish. Or once she has given birth. Pull the barrier out and your other fish may just take care of it. Sounds harsh but that is nature. Her aggression should subside at some point after she gives birth. Good luck!
My black skirt Tetras lay eggs and then eat them! Nature is cruel.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When my guppies had babies I did nothing. Most of the fry would get eaten but 5 - 10 would survive out of each batch by hiding. It worked out well since I don't really have the space to care for 50 fry every month from every female

The thing is she hasn't given birth to the rest of them yet.... She had one ....that the lfs said was a "premie" an that the rest I'll come soon. I'm gonna try putting the wall up with the fry in a breeder box an her in with the other fish.... I hope she isn't aggressive. She's a beautiful fish.. But I don't want my other fish being harmed because of her -.-

Back
Top Bottom