Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question Used tank came with fish, have several questions.

Quick story: I saw an ad on CL for a 75g tank with stand. Went to take a look, once I saw how horrible the tank water was I decided I HAD to buy it just to save the fish. Any way got a boat load of equipment, the tank, the stand, food, decorations, siphon, etc. for $295 US. Seemed like a good deal.

Brought the thing home have spent the last 5-6 hours cleaning it. I don't think it had ever been cleaned. Looks better now. Also did a bit of repair on the stand, hard to believe the thing didn't collapse under the weight.

Questions:

1> Can you help me ID the fish in the video clip below? Some sort of large angle fish, some sort of algae eaters, and I think the two little ones are blood fin tetras.

2> I cleaned the heck out of EVERYTHING, except the filter media. There was a ton of slime and algae all over the tank and the filter casing. Did I do the right thing to leave the filter media as is?

3> Now that the tank is clean what to I feed the algae eaters, if that is indeed what they are?

The Fish and Tank

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I think the angle fish is a Silver Veiltail Angel. HN1 thinks the algae eaters are Chinese Algae Eaters.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, definitely look like chinese algae eaters. Man, they're big! I'd get them some algae wafers. Mine really like zucchini. Tetra's do look like bloodfins.. hard to tell. They're always so fast. Good job saving them.

Very pretty angel.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is horrible that they wouldn't tank care of their tank. Props for saving those fish, you wouldn't happen to have a before pic would ya haha?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No it was really bad. I thought about taking before pics but it was so bad I just couldn't and I was in a huge hurry to get the thing cleaned up and the fish in some good water.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalix View Post
Yeah, definitely look like chinese algae eaters. Man, they're big! I'd get them some algae wafers. Mine really like zucchini. Tetra's do look like bloodfins.. hard to tell. They're always so fast. Good job saving them.

Very pretty angel.
Yeah they are a good 5-6 inches long.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Happens a lot. So many of my customers realize it involves maintenance and a lot of them just leave it sitting there not bothering with it.

One lady came in with a pitcher full of fish recently asking if I'd take them.. she apparently sold her fish tank a week before but was only just then trying to find the fish a home. People are strange.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well youtube's video conversion really made a mess of this video but here is the tank with some decorations back in and a background on the tank. The CAEs seem much happier having a place to hide.

Video - Used tank clean up with decorations.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone want to chime in on #2?

2> I cleaned the heck out of EVERYTHING, except the filter media. There was a ton of slime and algae all over the tank and the filter casing. Did I do the right thing to leave the filter media as is?

Also I just noticed that the angel's pectoral fins are just about gone. There isn't must left but spines, I wonder if there is anything I can do to help them grow back.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle
Anyone want to chime in on #2?

Also I just noticed that the angel's pectoral fins are just about gone. There isn't must left but spines, I wonder if there is anything I can do to help them grow back.
Yep, I think you did the right thing leaving the media alone. Give the tank time to settle in after the big cleaning and maybe replace some of the media a bit at a time if you think it needs it.

As for the Angel, chances are the garbage water caused the fin rot and keeping it clean will go a long ways towards healing it. I've used Melafix with success before in injury issues, but I'd suggest a QT if you decide to try it so you're not dosing for 75g.

Tags
75 gallon tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com