Variegated 'Shark' - Labeo cyclorhynchus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most people are fairly familiar with the freshwater 'Sharks' of Asia, like the Rainbow 'Shark' (Epalzeorhyncho frenatum) and the Red-tailed 'Shark' (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor) but not many people are aware that the group is well-represented among African aquatic faunas as well.

This is Labeo cyclorhynchus, the Variegated 'Shark' (or Harlequin 'Shark') a Cyprinid from the Middle and Lower Congo River and Ogowe River regions of Africa. Unlike some of its relatives, this fish stays at a reasonably manageable size of about 16cm (about 6 inches) and, while it will lose some of its color as it matures, it should still remain a very pretty fish.

Currently this one is about 4 inches long and is housed with a couple of African Pike Characins (Phago), one of which can be seen hovering hungrily in the background.

lvariegatus1sm.jpg

-Joe

Special (as always :wink: ) and charming fish! I'll be honest and tell you that I'm not wild about the colours, but I'm sure the pretty colours is not why you are keeping them :D

(Sorry if I'm being too honest here :oops: )

Honesty is almost always the best policy :D and it applies perfectly well here.

I have this fish primarily because it is an African river fish that fills a niche that is open in my aquariums....an omnivorous detritivore that will actually take care of some algae if it gets hungry enough. I do, however, like the colors (which are more vivid than the photograph shows). Reminds me of a calico cat!

-Joe

Help Fruitbat....I see your are the expert on Bichir's. See my post on Freshwater - unhealthy fish. Title HELP! Bloated Bichir.

Please if you have time can you help me?

Thanks,
Brandy

Back
Top Bottom