Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

VERY rare loach - Vaillantella maassi

Just got this loach in this morning. It is Vaillantella maassi, a very rare loach in captivity. It is about 5 inches long and not in very good color at the moment but it will be gorgeous when it is fully acclimated - long like a 'kuhli' loach and chocolate brown in color with a bright yellow or orange dorsal stripe, long dorsal fin and a forked tail. The pic is of the fish still in the shipping bag being acclimated in his new home. Better pics to come later!

Old 07-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
arent loaches usually botia?

aww well. looks like one of those deep sea fish. i wouldnt be suprised if a lil bulb on a sting poped out and a light came on 8P.

and think it be a better color then that. this i gotta see

Old 07-01-2004, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

man, you've got the coolest fish. my tetras and rams just don't compare! Can you tell us more about this guy?
Old 07-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
"Botia" is just one genus of loaches, and it happens to be the genus of loaches most frequently kept in aquariums. Others include Orthrius, Pangio (e.g. the Kuhli loach, Pangio kuhlii), Cobitis, Paracobitis. The list goes on...

Fruitbat: nice loach! I can see you are as nuts about loaches as I am about Loricariid catfish.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Vaillantella maasi is sometimes called the Chocolate Long-Finned Loach. It is found in Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia and reaches a total length of about 12.5cm (about 5 inches). Very few of these loaches are ever exported into the United States. Though they are not particularly uncommon where they are found, the populations are widely scattered and many of them have been wiped out for one reason or another.

There is an excellent picture of this fish in full color on the loaches.com web page. Here's a link to the information they have: http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...la_maassi.html
Old 08-13-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Very cool loach! I am setting up my tank again after having moved recently and am trolling this site and others looking for interesting and unusual fish. This is one worth considering for sure. Thanks for sharing the info!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

A pleasure, odysseysteve and welcome to Aquarium Advice!! You might think about checking out the user's galleries if you want to see a wide variety of fish.

Here's a link to my gallery: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...00&ppuser=3687

And here is a link to the overall Member's Gallery page for freshwater fish:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...&what=&name=&=

You can also access all of the galleries from the menu at the top of the page.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

and if you're looking for unusual, fruitbat probably knows about 'em and where to get 'em
Old 08-14-2004, 02:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi Friutbat,

Nice gallery! I really enjoy your Botia almorhae. Thanks for the links and the warm welcome. Looks like I'll be learning a lot on this site.

Hi medge00,

You're right, Fruitbat has some sweet looking unusal fish, that's for sure!
Old 08-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
what would happen if they all bred together? a super duper king sized awesome loach. jk that would look wierd. giant head, short body, tiny fins haha that would be funny (not in real life but if someone edited a fish like that)

Tags
loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com