Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I finally got an ammonia reading on my 10gL, with the betta in it. Last night it was .25ppm so I did a 25% PWC, waited ten minutes, and tested again and the strip stayed yellow (though that could mean anything, this test is so inaccurate). I did another 25% PWC this morning and tested and it was still good. I am going to do 25% PWC twice daily until I can get my good API test kit. I really hate this strip test. I know for certain that some of the strips are more reactive than others, and that throws me off.

Her stripes are faded and she's less... Darty? She started eating too, though I'm not feeding her much as of yet. She follows my finger on the aquarium, which is entertaining....

Old 01-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Good to hear she is doing better! Yeah, the strips suck. Its good that you are getting a better test kit.
She should be fine in the long run. If you are ever able to find your usb cord, make sure to get pictures.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't a clue what happened to it, and I'm bummed out. She stopped changing colors though anyway. I wish she would have stayed purple with the hot pink fins... That was awesome.

Now she's kind of a dull purple with reddish fins and a grayish brown tone over her body. She's still pretty, just not as vibrant as she was. I won't be spawning her anyway... I have too many other things to rip my hair out over.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Well, maybe she will brighten up a little more once she is settled in totally.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry when I read "running empty" I misunderstood
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I definitely should have been more specific... Seeing as I've just begun posting here and I have another tank which just started cycling. Very easy assumption to make.

From the sound of it, though, this tank doesn't have much BB left in it because all it's been housing is a small snail. With a snail and a betta in a 10g tank, I shouldn't be getting ammonia readings of .25ppm if the tank was balanced, so I'm assuming it's re-cycling with the fish in it, which doesn't bother me a whole lot. I just need to do 2 PWC's a day; the first one in the morning about 10 minutes after feeding, and the second one in the evening.

I don't have a python or a gravel vacuum so I use a turkey baster to clean up leftover food and waste. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it works, though I wish it were longer. It was definitely cheaper, lol.

Tags
betta, female, female betta, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com