Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

VERY STRANGE female betta! What's her deal?

I know the first thing everyone's going to want is pictures, but I'm afraid I lost the USB cable to my camera and haven't found it yet.

Yesterday I went to walmart. I was not planning on buying a fish, but they had a gorgeous, sapphire blue female betta with BRIGHT red fins, and she was very lively and healthy, nice fins, good condition... I had to have her. I brought her home and when I got there and looked at her in her little deli cup thing, she was completely brown! She looked like a minnow! I put her in a sandwich bag and floated it in my 10gL, which has been running empty for three months. When I was ready to put her in the tank, I looked at her, and she was BRIGHT PURPLE with bright red fins! Definitely the most vibrant female I have ever laid eyes on. She ended up staying a very vivid reddish-purple with hot pink fins throughout the evening. She would get darker and lighter every hour or so, but no huge color changes. When I woke up this morning, she was completely red with light horizontal stripes on her sides. What is going on? I have had bettas that changed shades, but never any that acted like chameleons!

Also, starting today, whenever I enter the room or approach the tank to look at her, she DARTS behind a decoration and hides from me. Even just opening the door sends her flying. I've never had such a shy betta before. Atleast she is healthy.

So.... How wierd is my fish, exactly?

Don't worry. I will definitely take pictures of her wierd color changes as soon as I find my USB.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

horizontal stripes can be a sign of stress. Most likely her getting used to her new environment.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Her stripes are even more vibrant now. Would she be more comfortable if I draped a sheet over her tank?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i say just let her be. she'll adjust eventually, and it'll only cause more stress when you take the sheet off. she needs to adjust to her surroundings as they are. congrats on the find though!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, she's less shy now, so that's nice. It's not fun having a fish you can't always see, lol. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know! As of now I'm leaving her alone. I actually haven't even fed her yet (I'm not sure she'd eat) so she's basicly just swimming around and occasionally hiding in her little holey-rock-thing.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Congrats on the new Betta. She sounds stressed. If the tank has been empty for months then there is no BB so watch out for ammonia spikes. I'd do a water change every day until you get your test kit to make sure her waters clean.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Congrats on the new Betta. She sounds stressed. If the tank has been empty for months then there is no BB so watch out for ammonia spikes. I'd do a water change every day until you get your test kit to make sure her waters clean.

Think they meant it's been cycling for 3 months.

Like other shave said, just leave her alone. Do you have a background or a wall behind/beside the tank? If she sees people walking all around her, obviously this would add additional stress.
Did you turn the tank light off for a while when you introduced her?
She's probably also only been used to tiny little cups. Just tripping out like
"THERE'S SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!!"
Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nope, it's been empty for three months. It used to have two female bettas in it, then one jumped out and died, and the other died soon after. Although it isn't really empty... There's still a little striped snail in there that keeps the algae away.

The tank has 'walls' on three sides (well... Two walls and a laundry basket). The light is rather bright, so I always shut it off at night. This morning her stripes were VERY vivid. I tried feeding her today and all she does is grab the food and spit it out, then grab it again and spit it out... Over and over and over. I'm planning on 25% PWC daily until I get my API test kit. Is that enough, or should I do them twice a day?

Tank temp. is 78F at night and 80F during the day.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It will definitely need cycling again then. 25% a day should be ok but IMO 50% would be better just because you don't know what the readings are.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

How big is the tank? Just curious because the smaller the tank, the more frequently the water needs to be changed while it is cycling.
As for the color, the blue/purple on fish, in particular on bettas, is actually from light scattering on the scales rather than from actual blue pigment. Its like that with birds and most reptiles as well. I am just going to leave it at that. The point is, blue-ish or purple fish often do seem to change color more than fish of other colors because of that. Its not weird.

Tags
betta, female, female betta, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com