Very successful day yesterday, a hippo tang and yellow tang!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I just wanted to let everyone know I had a very successful day yesterday! I added two new fish to my aquarium a gorgeous blue hippo tang and a yellow tang. I was concerned about the wrasse accepting them but he did so much better then I thought he would! The first day he just sorta bumped them a bit and stuck his top fin up at both of them, but it looked like it really didn't bother them. Now it seems like they're all getting along perfectly fine, maybe all this time the Wrasse was just lonely?

Anyway so successful mission on those guys, they're doing great and the hippo tang is just so gorgeous.
My next question though is do I still need to wait to move that little Emp Angel to get some size to him? Or since it seems like the Wrasse is willing to accept tank mates now, do you think I could move the Emp up from the refugium? I don't know I still have my doubts. He's a little guy and I don't know if he'd mistake him for food or not. The Wrasse is literally like 10 times his size. Let me know what you guys say.

Also I will post pics up of the yellow tang and hippo tang soon.

Thanks for all the help,

Steve

I would wait on the emp. angel. It is different for him to have tank mates of the same size or close to the same size then for him to have a tank mate almost bite size. IMO i would wait to put the emp. angel in and not risk losing it to aggression. I would also be careful to not too much pressure on the biological system and not add too many fish at the same time.

Yeah you're right, well I didn't want to add just one tang so the Wrasse would have a single target. I figured by adding two fish at once he wouldn't be able to pick a single target (in fact I believe there are some people on here who actually mentioned I add several fish at once instead of a single fish)

The hippo tang seems to be the one with least aggression. The yellow tang is not putting up with the Wrasse harrasement, so the Wrasse is leaving him alone already. The hippo tang however I am still a bit concerned about. He doesn't seem to fight back (and I've been told they're one of the more innocent species of tangs)

That's it for a while though fish wise. Eventually move the Emp up so he can grow big and start to mature into an adult and maybe a snowflake eel but that's about it.

Steve

You need to keep an eye on the hippo tang because they are not fighters. Everything i read says they are peaceful fish and the yellow tang on everything i read is semi-aggressive. So i would just give a little more time and keep an eye on them. As for the add several fish at a time is a good idea when you have a slightly aggressive fish in the tank.

Well I figured just two wouldn't hurt ya know? And I think the plan worked out well! I think it would've been alot less successful had I just added the hippo tang and not the yellow tang.

Now I am concerned though because isn't the Wrasse dietary requirements quite different from the tangs and Emps requirements? The Wrasse is a carnivore and the tangs and Emp herbivores? Any suggestions for foods for the herbivores?

Steve

Welll here they are! A beautiful hippo tang and yellow tang. I think the hippo tang is on the way to being one of my favorites. :)
I am so happy this worked out, the Wrasse is such a good sport after having the tank for nearly a year for himself.

So as far as dietary needs go, should I just mix up some carnivorous food with some herbivor type food?

By the way their names are comet (hippo) and buttercup (yellow tang)

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 80
Thanks, they're doing so well! Of course not at least for a couple weeks until my system adjusts to the new fishies but how would a snowflake eel do with these guys? Are they aggressive at all? And if I have to like switch around rock or something will they bite?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom