Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJ

Nonono. These fish absolutely cannot live in a 30 gallon tank, minimum 5-6 feet (preferrably 6) long.
Oop sorry! Haha 55
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 86
you guys are looking at this from a hobbyist perspective, lol.

we all may want a 3 bedroom apartment in downtown Manhattan but sometimes we end up with an efficiency.
the hamster may not like the plastic ball - yet he is going to go in the plastic ball. (all hamsters love plastic balls)

that is why I recommend a 20gallon long tank, they are the best value and offer good space for children to start out with.
if there is a pet supplies plus near you, visit them they were having a sale on tanks and were cheaper than petsmart. I think it was 24$. the light lid might be expensive in that size though, but you can just get one light if you want or even use a metal cage. normally this size is for reptiles. the 20G long would be better than a 30G in my opinion.
__________________

__________________
potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Okay... All makes sense... We want whatever we get to be happy... Any suggestions of another type cool type of fish that could be happy in a 20 gallon tank?
I have my own tanks with different types of Mollies... And I have an endless cycle of fry in their own grow out tank... Heck, I may get lucky and he'll get attached to a few Mollies
He was all about the sharks tho... So maybe something cool looking??
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
I saw a 20 gal long for $39
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatochobit
you guys are looking at this from a hobbyist perspective, lol.

we all may want a 3 bedroom apartment in downtown Manhattan but sometimes we end up with an efficiency.
the hamster may not like the plastic ball - yet he is going to go in the plastic ball. (all hamsters love plastic balls)

that is why I recommend a 20gallon long tank, they are the best value and offer good space for children to start out with.
if there is a pet supplies plus near you, visit them they were having a sale on tanks and were cheaper than petsmart. I think it was 24$. the light lid might be expensive in that size though, but you can just get one light if you want or even use a metal cage. normally this size is for reptiles. the 20G long would be better than a 30G in my opinion.
What fish are you talking about...Bala Sharks?

If so...please explain how putting a school of 12-14" fish in a 20 gallon tank is acceptable?

And if you've ever kept a RTS or Rainbow Sharks you'll know that as they get older they become WAY too territorial and aggressive to be kept in a tank that size.

Just because a chain store or LFS prints something on the tank...or because they CAN fit in there...doesn't mean that we as responsible hobbyists should put them in those environments. Comparing it to our homes is not an relatable argument when you consider that these fish come from lakes, rivers, streams, etc...and we're putting them in glass boxes.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 86
I was talking about red tailed shark, rainbow sharks and other loaches
I already made it clear bala sharks should not be put in a small tank

it is true the some loaches are territorial, and that is why I already recommended a little house for him which will curb this. however, it is no where near as bad other types of fish.

when the fish is large enough in a few years to need a new house you can cross that bridge at that time. Probably her son will be old enough to understand this by then and hopefully he will stick with the hobby. I disagree with you to claim people are irresponsible because they do not have a large tank at the start. Also, you can always give the fish away if it gets too large. most pet stores will accept them.

anyway, this is getting off topic.
__________________
potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatochobit
I was talking about red tailed shark, rainbow sharks and other loaches
I already made it clear bala sharks should not be put in a small tank

it is true the some loaches are territorial, and that is why I already recommended a little house for him which will curb this. however, it is no where near as bad other types of fish.

when the fish is large enough in a few years to need a new house you can cross that bridge at that time. Probably her son will be old enough to understand this by then and hopefully he will stick with the hobby. I disagree with you to claim people are irresponsible because they do not have a large tank at the start. Also, you can always give the fish away if it gets too large. most pet stores will accept them.

anyway, this is getting off topic.
It's exactly on topic since we're discussing the requirements of the different fish the OP is asking about as the thread progresses.

Have you kept RCS or Rainbows? I think you'd have a hard time finding members who keep them recommending anything smaller than a 50-55 gallon. Having a little cave for a fish only does so much when there is limited space. If a tank is too small the Shark will likely decide the entire tank is his territory.

We're all entitled to our opinions and can express as we like, but I personally do consider it irresponsible to place a fish in an unsuitable home with the expectations that when a fish is larger you can re-home or buy a larger tank....unless you have a tangible backup plan set in place. Obviously over time things change and being able to provide a large tank may not be a possibility. People also become attached to their fish and would have a hard time giving it to a LFS sending it to an uncertain future. JMHO though.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jcolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
What fish are you talking about...Bala Sharks?

If so...please explain how putting a school of 12-14" fish in a 20 gallon tank is acceptable?

And if you've ever kept a RTS or Rainbow Sharks you'll know that as they get older they become WAY too territorial and aggressive to be kept in a tank that size.

Just because a chain store or LFS prints something on the tank...or because they CAN fit in there...doesn't mean that we as responsible hobbyists should put them in those environments. Comparing it to our homes is not an relatable argument when you consider that these fish come from lakes, rivers, streams, etc...and we're putting them in glass boxes.
+1 with eco23. Bala sharks should be in a 125gal minimum ... they grow to a foot and are VERY energetic sharks that need room to swim.

An RTS matures into a VERY territorially aggressive "shark" IMO a 75gal (I used to say 55gal) should be the minimum AND then there needs to be territories set up for it to claim ... i.e. plants, caves, decor etc. Even then ... there's no guarantee they wont terrorize their tank-mates.

My RTS (a gift for my son from his G-father) is in a planted 75gal with plenty of "territories" and it still pretty much claims the whole tank as it's territory. I'm convinced that for now it's willing to tolerate it tankmates, but at 3 inches, it still has another 3 inches to go ... and it if it gets too aggressive, I'll have to rehome it.

Rainbow Sharks are not as territorially aggressive ... but it's basically like a slightly smaller, more docile RTS ... needs a 55gal at minimum.
__________________
75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Any fish you guys can recommend appropriately sized for a 20 gal in that case... Sounds like these types of sharks/fish we're discussing are out of my size range..
Something colorful "cool" looking...
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin
Any fish you guys can recommend appropriately sized for a 20 gal in that case... Sounds like these types of sharks/fish we're discussing are out of my size range..
Something colorful "cool" looking...
A 20 gallon will give you lots of options...a 10 will definitely limit your choices. Remember too that the larger a tank is, the easier it is to maintain good water quality. If you can spare a few more $'s...I'd go larger if you can.

Since your son likes cool looking fish like Sharks....there are plenty of colorful choices like Dwarf Gouramis or even a Betta. Betta's have a bad reputation which IMO is not at all deserved as long as they are stocked with compatible fish. Something like a single male Betta with a school of non-nippy fish and some inverts like snails would make an awesome tank. I'd say a 20 gallon would also be okay for a single Dwarf Cichlid. Have your son look at some pics of Apistogrammas, Bolovian Rams and German Blue Rams. They're really cool looking fish a boy should love. Rams are somewhat sensitive though...so you'll want to make sure you do your research on compatibility and water quality (cycling is the most important aspect IMO).
__________________

__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice - sick bala shark tpebic Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 0 08-10-2011 10:27 PM
Need help with bala shark HalliePV Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 13 08-01-2011 06:23 PM
Injured Bala Shark (Head Injury) Glezza Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 5 06-28-2011 09:33 AM
Bala Shark Questions TaiN Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 06-24-2011 12:43 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.