Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
Any fish you guys can recommend appropriately sized for a 20 gal in that case... Sounds like these types of sharks/fish we're discussing are out of my size range..
Something colorful "cool" looking...
Kuhli loaches, pearl gourami, corys, otos, platys, dwarf gourami, any number of smallish tetras ( around 2 inches), betta, guppies, ram cichlids, apistsos. There are a lot.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
+1 with eco23. Bala sharks should be in a 125gal minimum ... they grow to a foot and are VERY energetic sharks that need room to swim.

An RTS matures into a VERY territorially aggressive "shark" IMO a 75gal (I used to say 55gal) should be the minimum AND then there needs to be territories set up for it to claim ... i.e. plants, caves, decor etc. Even then ... there's no guarantee they wont terrorize their tank-mates.

My RTS (a gift for my son from his G-father) is in a planted 75gal with plenty of "territories" and it still pretty much claims the whole tank as it's territory. I'm convinced that for now it's willing to tolerate it tankmates, but at 3 inches, it still has another 3 inches to go ... and it if it gets too aggressive, I'll have to rehome it.

Rainbow Sharks are not as territorially aggressive ... but it's basically like a slightly smaller, more docile RTS ... needs a 55gal at minimum.
I agree with you and eco. I understand balas have been put out of the equation, and the OP is going to stay away from sharks. Thats good.
Another note, those "sharks" are minnows, not loaches.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Yes... This seems to be the best decision for now... If I can get him to choose peaceful community fish then perhaps he can hold on to my male Dalmatian Molly who rarely lets up on my 4 female mollies... Lol. And now I think of it, he loves my Gold twin bar platy... So we have 2 fish mentally stocked in a 20 gal... LOL
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #24
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Yes... This seems to be the best decision for now... If I can get him to choose peaceful community fish then perhaps he can hold on to my male Dalmatian Molly who rarely lets up on my 4 female mollies... Lol. And now I think of it, he loves my Gold twin bar platy... So we have 2 fish mentally stocked in a 20 gal... LOL
I love mollies and platys. Maybe he will like the mollies even more if ou let him hand feed them. All my mollies get tame enough to eat out of my hands. Then they start to think my hand always has food, so they will try to "groom" me every time I put my hand in there for cleaning. Its endearing. There are lots of really cool platy varieties too.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
I have the 4 females and 1 male... And about 65 fry 1 wk, 2 wks and 3 wks old
Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #26
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Thats cool. You could always let him pick a couple of your fry and raise them in his own tank. Then you could add a few tankmates once the fry are big enough to not get eaten.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I say mollies and other hardy fish like guppies would make great ones for your son to get a kick out of. In my opinion, Black Lyretail Mollies are some of my favorite mollies - they're so dang pretty! http://bluegrassaquatics.com/media/c...ACK_MEDIUM.jpg

And Sunburst Platys are another fav. Insanely pretty colors. They're like the Sun Conures of freshwater fish! http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...963307t400.jpg http://bluegrassaquatics.com/media/c...ST_REGULAR.jpg
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lil man has to do well enough in 1st grade to earn the tank to put the fish in!!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Lil man has to do well enough in 1st grade to earn the tank to put the fish in!!
Thats fair.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

A very fair deal. XD Make him work for it!

Tags
bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com