Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
Guess Petsmart doesn't know what they're talking about... They say 30 gallon is good enough and generally go by 1" fish/ gallon...
Upon looking further 55 gallon seems gigantic for a 6 yr old and unreasonable... What about a rainbow shark or silver tipped shark? Much more pleasing to the eye than the red finned shark..
Never trust Petsmart advice without doing a little research first. I always ask employees at several LFS now. I agree, definitely make sure you have a lot of space for balas. I had my two balas in a 20 gallon when they were babies but I put them in my 60 right away when I got that. They're quite peaceful and easy to care for.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #32
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffekins View Post
Never trust Petsmart advice without doing a little research first.
i was at petsmart the other day and the lady was trying to sell me mondo grass, which i knew wasn't aquatic. so i asked "isn't mondo grass not aquatic?" and the lady said it definitely was

Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think it is a great idea to let him raise 3 molly fry Then maybe add a school of neons in the future.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by New View Post
i was at petsmart the other day and the lady was trying to sell me mondo grass, which i knew wasn't aquatic. so i asked "isn't mondo grass not aquatic?" and the lady said it definitely was
haha that figures; mondo grass is not gonna prosper under water. Thing is, i've heard from LFS's that people who work in aquatics at petsmart/petco come and go. I'll admit, petsmart has some good deals with supplies/tanks, but don't always trust their advice.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
All same sex.. Either females never in contact with a male or males..
Would males fight?
I had two platys and had to rehome one cause he was always bullied and "made" to stay behind a corner plant by the dominant one...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol I hope your son finds this thread one day..

Anyway, Dwarf Butterfly Cichlids are cool, if you can find them. Why not a .13 goldfish? I still like mine lol. I really like my Bloodfin tetras. They always school together!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #37
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
All same sex.. Either females never in contact with a male or males..
Would males fight?
I had two platys and had to rehome one cause he was always bullied and "made" to stay behind a corner plant by the dominant one...
Did you mean with mollies? Usually, there isn't an issue with all male liverbearers, but sometimes you do get a bossy one. IMO, you would be safer to just stick with all females.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Did you mean with mollies? Usually, there isn't an issue with all male liverbearers, but sometimes you do get a bossy one. IMO, you would be safer to just stick with all females.
I say with Molly's, you need at least 3 females to 1 male ratio to keep the males from trying to domminate all and kill other males and from harrasing other females
Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #39
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
I say with Molly's, you need at least 3 females to 1 male ratio to keep the males from trying to domminate all and kill other males and from harrasing other females
She was asking about having all of one of the other gender. She doesn't want a mix. I have kept all male mollies, and all female mollies and not had an issue, but I know mollies can be bossy and some people have problems.
I still think all girls would be safer than all males however.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Thank you absolutangel... Yes I'm breeding my own mollies, don't need a separate set going in a 6 yr olds tank
We'll see.. He said he wants all girls... Will work out though because I'm separating sexes in a few weeks...

Tags
bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com