Water problems......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reverting back to the start of my thread on here I mentioned "I'd set a new tank" in actual fact it was new to me but I bought it from a friend who had it running the day I bought it. So the filter had the bacteria in. Sorry I didn't put this. I had my water tested by a fish supplier and was told the levels are safe enough to get at most 5 hardy fish.
Just wanted to leave tank running empty just to be sure. Hopefully this makes better sence now :).
Day 2 of fish in, and all doing fine. Water test tomorrow.
Will post everyday with updates.

Jimlor123 said:
?.. I had my water tested by a fish supplier and was told the levels are safe enough to get at most 5 hardy fish.

That statement would seem to support the idea that things are not as pristine as you might have been led to believe.

When you get your water tested tomorrow...try to post the actual numbers of ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. I'd also highly suggest trying to purchase your own quality liquid test kit.

Hopefully all the filters of the tank stayed wet during the setting up of the tank when you got it from your friend. If not...unfortunately, dry bacteria = dead bacteria.

Jimlor123 said:
I will post all levels tomorrow. And get a kit :)

Sounds good :). Most of us here suggest the API Master Test Kit. I would avoid purchasing test strips...you might as well guess what your levels are if you're using them, lol.

I have to agree with Eco. API freshwater master test kit is the way to go. Just out of interest, is the shop part of a chain? If so, which one?

Pvtdgrif said:
I have to agree with Eco. API freshwater master test kit is the way to go. Just out of interest, is the shop part of a chain? If so, which one?

Have my tests done at the moment by swallow aquatics.

Ammonia was 0.
Nitrite 0.
But nitrate were a little high. So going to do 50% water change
Any suggestions?? Other than 50% wc??

Jimlor123 said:
Ammonia was 0.
Nitrite 0.
But nitrate were a little high. So going to do 50% water change
Any suggestions?? Other than 50% wc??

What was the result for nitrate?

Jimlor123 said:
Think it was between 80-100 :(

Sorry to say but a 50% PWC will only remove 1/2 of the nitrate. I suggest you do 2x 50% PWCs.

Did you get a test kit?

Pvtdgrif said:
Sorry to say but a 50% PWC will only remove 1/2 of the nitrate. I suggest you do 2x 50% PWCs.

Did you get a test kit?

Yup, got the api master kit. I done 50% change 2 hours ago.
When should I do the next?

Are the nitrate levels really bad? Or just a bit too high?

Jimlor123 said:
Yup, got the api master kit. I done 50% change 2 hours ago.
When should I do the next?

Are the nitrate levels really bad? Or just a bit too high?

I'd leave it another hour then retest the nitrate (that test is the hardest to do - you really need to shake the cr@p out of the 2nd bottle for at least 30 seconds before you add the 2nd drops or the test will very inaccurate).
Post that result and we'll decide on what % to change then.

Jimlor123 said:
Was told when tested earlier to do the 50% change and leave it for a day or two.

Or was he lying??

It takes up to 3 hours for the new water to completely mix at which point you can retest.

On the whole, assistants at aquatics shops give you the easy answer, easy for them and/or easy for you, but not always the best/correct answer. (obviously this is not the same for ALL assistants and all shops!)

Jimlor123 said:
Was told when tested earlier to do the 50% change and leave it for a day or two.

Or was he lying??

I can't believe I'm about to agree with a lfs, but there may actually be some truth behind his recommendation. I have read articles citing the fact that fish who have been exposed to prolonged high levels of no3 can actually be prone to "nitrAte shock" if the levels are changed too rapidly. Normally it would be the opposite direction where if they are put in an environment which is substantially higher than the previous, but I've also seen evidence that any dramatic swings, even for the better, can be an issue.

That said, 80-100 is high, but I'm not sure I'd call it overly extreme. I agree that a 50% pwc now, another 50% later today, and the same tomorrow (if necessary) would be perfectly fine.

eco23 said:
I can't believe I'm about to agree with a lfs, but there may actually be some truth behind his recommendation. I have read articles citing the fact that fish who have been exposed to prolonged high levels of no3 can actually be prone to "nitrAte shock" if the levels are changed too rapidly. Normally it would be the opposite direction where if they are put in an environment which is substantially higher than the previous, but I've also seen evidence that any dramatic swings, even for the better, can be an issue.

That said, 80-100 is high, but I'm not sure I'd call it overly extreme. I agree that a 50% pwc now, another 50% later today, and the same tomorrow (if necessary) would be perfectly fine.

Ok, I'll do a test in a little while. I don't suppose any of you are on facebook? As have problems gettin on here, and the wait is dragging. So just wondered if any1 has it to talk easier. Inbox me if poss. But will post results as soon as. Iv only got to test nitrates yes?

It never hurts to test everything, but if you said that ammo and no2 are at zero, then nitrAtes are what we need to know.

Your goal will be to get them down to 20 or below. To be on the safe side, I'd do 2 50% pwc's today, and 2 more tomorrow if necessary to get them down to that level. :)

*AA is my Facebook, lol.

Tests done, turns out my tap water is a bit high on nitrates. As far as I can remember nitrates were 60. Couldn't get on here all night and most of today :(. But have been told live plants can help. Ammonia and nitrite were 0.

Any further advice?

Jimlor123 said:
Tests done, turns out my tap water is a bit high on nitrates. As far as I can remember nitrates were 60. Couldn't get on here all night and most of today :(. But have been told live plants can help. Ammonia and nitrite were 0.

Any further advice?

The only efficient ways that nitrAte is removed from an aquarium is by water changes and by plants. Normally we do ~25% weekly water changes to keep the nitrAtes at 20 or below.

Plants will help keep your nitrAte level down, but is not a replacement for water changes. Weekly pwc's should still be done to refresh the water with nutrients and buffers as well as helping keep the tank clean.

Ok, so if I get plants will they take root in gravel?? (3inchs of gravel). Not going to be a problem with water changing. Easy to do :). Fish are still fine :). And 1 platy is pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom