Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Glad all is ok now. Leave the light off except for when you need to do a quick check of the water quality, as light just promote algae growth. Crank up the heater nice and high as that gets the good bacteria growing quicker.

As for reference material, I use the Internet as you can get multiple opinions on anything from "what fish live with other fish" to "please help identify and cure this disease".

Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool, I have the water temp at around 30c? Is that good? Don't know if it works but I put a picture on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2475618875.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	42651  

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimlor123
Cool, I have the water temp at around 30c? Is that good? Don't know if it works but I put a picture on
I hv a temp of 30c too previously. I bought a mini cooler fan for aquarium and it cool the water down to between 27c to 28c... I believe thats the recommended temperature...
Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

30c is ideal for cycling. If you haven't read this already then read http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...cle/Page1.html

It covers everything to do with cycling.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarJarDoink

I hv a temp of 30c too previously. I bought a mini cooler fan for aquarium and it cool the water down to between 27c to 28c... I believe thats the recommended temperature...
Jimlor as you are in the uk, you won't need a cooler unless you are going to run a really high power lighting rig.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

All is fine with water tests . Added 3 platy's just to help with final stages. Of cycle. Due to reading something about spikes, and how they won't settle until a few fish r introduced. Does that sound ok? Thanks for all the help and tips
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimlor123
All is fine with water tests . Added 3 platy's just to help with final stages. Of cycle. Due to reading something about spikes, and how they won't settle until a few fish r introduced. Does that sound ok? Thanks for all the help and tips
Oh and to add, I dropped temp to 24-26.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is way too quick to by cycled, on average it should take around 6 weeks. Keep an eye on the water parameters - test every day without fail for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Post the results on here. Good luck
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvtdgrif
This is way too quick to by cycled, on average it should take around 6 weeks. Keep an eye on the water parameters - test every day without fail for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Post the results on here. Good luck
I forgot to ask... What test kit are you using? And is it powder, dipsticks or liquid?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm jumping in late here (sorry), but if you've put fish in the tank to "help with the late stages of cycling" or to "settle spikes"...you either haven't read the links previously posted or you didn't understand them.

If you've been adding an ammonia source (shrimp or pure ammo), and have introduced fish during this process...it is a deadly environment for your fish. I'm not familiar with temperature conversion, but if you have the heater cranked up for cycling...that is also a problem.

If there are ammonia levels you've added to the water, depending on how high they are, you need to do MASSIVE pwc's ASAP.

Since you have fish in the tank, address the problems you have and please read these next two articles. If you don't understand...ask questions. Adding fish when you are unsure of the process is the absolutely last thing you should have done. Sorry if I sound rude

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....gen_Cycle.html

eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com