Water problems......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimlor123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, am just wondering!! Iv just set a new tank up and the water is really cloudy! I have a 130ltr aqua one tank, filter in the hood one. All running. Am just wondering how long it will take to clear?!?! And is there anything i can do to help it along!! Please help?!?!?

I just want to add.. As I have a hood filter, the water doesn't move round a great deal, I have a large filter with power head in other tank and the water moves sooo quick. Do I need the water moving?? Lol

you dont NEED it to, bc some fish would rather it be still like bettas but other fish need more oxygen. to fix this problem just add a bubbler.

Cool, thanks for the help. How long do I need to let it run without fish? As I waited a day with last tank, done tests and all was perfect. And still got a load of fish I got 1st :)

it's best to do a fishless cycle. read up on that article and it'll tell you just how to do it.

allaboutfish said:
it's best to do a fishless cycle. read up on that article and it'll tell you just how to do it.

Hi, the water has gone a little darker :(. I did add some filter aid... Dunno if I should of. Any ideas?

I would stop adding any chemicals to the water besides a dechlorinator when doing PWCs. The water will clear on it's own. Chemical additives never address the root cause of a problem - they just mask symptoms.

The link that was posted above is a good place to start- you need to understand the nitrogen cycle in your tank, and how that works. There is more to starting up a new tank than filling with water and letting the filter run for a day.

It's without fish, I bought a aqua one 130ltr tank. With filter in hood. I put my old gravel in (that was well washed). And water 3inch below top of tank. So it's a fishless cycle I imagine. My old tank didn't take long:(

Just filling it with water is not cycling. Check out the link that was posted earlier in the thread or the link in my signature block.

You don't get the concept you need to throw some raw shrimp in there and wait till the readings are ammo 0 nitrites 0 and a showing of nitrates

allaboutfish said:
You don't get the concept you need to throw some raw shrimp in there and wait till the readings are ammo 0 nitrites 0 and a showing of nitrates

What do you mean by putting raw shrimp in? Will that help? And how do I put them in? And how long for?

Get some stockings or leggings or whatever you call them and put 2 shrimp in and then it will let out ammonia so you'll be doing a fishless cycle

basically u r putting rotting stuff in til u get ur tank to be like proper water! Read cycling link.x Getting the good bacteria started..

Jimlor123 said:
Does it have to be shrimp?

No, there are other options. I used bottled ammonia as this allows you to add measured amounts. As ppl above have said, read up on the nitrogen cycle, and don't expect it to be cycled quickly it takes weeks or even longer. But done properly before you get fish will mean the fish get the best start. Without a COMPLETE fishless cycle you are poisoning the fish which will reduce there resistance to disease and in the long term may kill them. I ran my tank cycle for 6 weeks before the levels were 0. Since then my tank has run for 7 months without a single fish death (touch wood).
Hope this helps,
Matt.

Back
Top Bottom