Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
Petco is a little cumbersome to go to regularly, but would if I had to. It's just under an hour away, lfs 1 and 2 are much closer. So pooey.

I did not get Bettafix for him... I've only treated him with salt. I am wondering if I should have got that instead of the melafix but I already bought & used some.... it's due to catfish not having scales and having some armored plates (I think that is how it was described). However a little quick Googling brings me to a little concern... that it may not be ok for them Oh wow some people had some sick catfish and used it on them and they died. Yeah so I am going to stop using that... I wonder if I can return it... Other people were saying just to not use it on corys. Not pygmys in particular but cories in general...

Okay I hope I didn't kill them :'(

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-to...1889817.html#4
That quote there really concerns me. Apparently bettafix may not be good either...

Oh dear gosh I hope I didn't hurt them Any other ideas?
__________________

__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Petco is a little cumbersome to go to regularly, but would if I had to. It's just under an hour away, lfs 1 and 2 are much closer. So pooey.

I did not get Bettafix for him... I've only treated him with salt. I am wondering if I should have got that instead of the melafix but I already bought & used some.... it's due to catfish not having scales and having some armored plates (I htink that is how it was described). However a little quick Googling brings me to a little concern... that it may not be ok for them Oh wow some people had some sick catfish and used it on them and they died. Yeah so I am going to stop using that... I wonder if I can return it... Other people were saying just to not use it on corys. Not pygmys in particular but cories in general...

Okay I hope I didn't kill them :'(

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-to...1889817.html#4
That quote there really concerns me. Apparently bettafix may not be good either...

Oh dear gosh I hope I didn't hurt them Any other ideas?
I'm not sure this is a trusted source. I would look up if it is indeed true that Cory cats have labyrinth organs. I would use wikipedia to look up anatomy of the Corydoras species. For instance, I already found that the no salt thing is a total myth. Then I would wait 24 hours to see how your fish are doing before making any decisions. I've never had an issue with Bettafix hurting my bettas as it is only 0.2% by volume Tea Tree Oil. From a chemistry perspective, that is extremely low. I can see if a severely ill fish with an infection in the labyrinth that's doing damage may have an issue. I highly doubt you hurt them. You halved the dose. I've yet to see any contraindications for Pimafix for labyrinth fish. You could potentially dose with a broad-spectrum antibiotic but you don't want to create antibiotic resistance in any tank.
__________________

__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
I will do some more research I came across some posts that also said that it was fine on their fish. Some saying it didn't hurt the cory fish but didn't do a darned thing either. ::Sigh::

I don't think they have labyrinth organs but I'll look it up to make sure. I think some of the posts I saw said not to use it on them since they gulp air, and those people may have been assuming they had a labyrinth organ because of that. Since I've only used a tiny amt and it's a huge bottle I may be able to return it. ::sigh?:: they may not even need to be treated but it is a good idea.

Yeah I don't really want to treat them with a broad spectrum either, they may not even need anything. We don't need resistance. I am also going to see if salt is ok. I've heard mixed things about this too with cory cat fish. I think I might make a new post about this specifically to see what other cory owners have to say.

Have you ever had any cory cat fish?

Thank you, that's reassuring that you say I probably didn't hurt them . I probably didn't but after reading that it scared me a bit!
__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
I will do some more research I came across some posts that also said that it was fine on their fish. Some saying it didn't hurt the cory fish but didn't do a darned thing either. ::Sigh::

I don't think they have labyrinth organs but I'll look it up to make sure. I think some of the posts I saw said not to use it on them since they gulp air, and those people may have been assuming they had a labyrinth organ because of that. Since I've only used a tiny amt and it's a huge bottle I may be able to return it. ::sigh?:: they may not even need to be treated but it is a good idea.

Yeah I don't really want to treat them with a broad spectrum either, they may not even need anything. We don't need resistance. I am also going to see if salt is ok. I've heard mixed things about this too with cory cat fish. I think I might make a new post about this specifically to see what other cory owners have to say.

Have you ever had any cory cat fish?

Thank you, that's reassuring that you say I probably didn't hurt them . I probably didn't but after reading that it scared me a bit!
I had Otocinclus which are quite similar. Being a biology major I know how to tell what is trustable and what is not. Look up Corydoras on Wikipedia: It says they do gulp air but it does not say anywhere that they gain oxygen. Given their natural habitat it would be highly unlikely they have a labyrinth. I still suggest using a preventative medication but large water changes might be a viable alternative if you have fish that are not actively ill. And I would keep the meds you have now just in case a problem comes up in the future. Just as I suspected, people who lost fish to either of these medications likely overdosed or underestimated the degree to which their fish were ill. While it is true that labyrinth fish are sensitive to Melafix, it is possible to use it on them but with extra caution.
__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215


Thanks I REALLY appreciate all your help so far! You are a wealth of information and it is appreciated! I hope you don't mind that I make another new post, I just want to see what some other people have to say about this subject.

Last thing I want to do is hurt these adorable little creatures!

I'm not sure what else I would use; a broad spectrum seems overkill for a maybe issue.

One of the meds is good only through this coming April, the other through 2017 or 2018. So a little hole in the pocket for the April one if I don't use it, but, wouldn't be the first time I spent a little $ on fish stuff I didn't use or can't use and wasn't able to return...
__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post


Thanks I REALLY appreciate all your help so far! You are a wealth of information and it is appreciated! I hope you don't mind that I make another new post, I just want to see what some other people have to say about this subject.

Last thing I want to do is hurt these adorable little creatures!

I'm not sure what else I would use; a broad spectrum seems overkill for a maybe issue.

One of the meds is good only through this coming April, the other through 2017 or 2018. So a little hole in the pocket for the April one if I don't use it, but, wouldn't be the first time I spent a little $ on fish stuff I didn't use or can't use and wasn't able to return...
I would keep the one that's good through '17-'18 and if it is the Melafix you have to use now I found a few good suggestions: Leave activated carbon in your filter (I do this because I have a 3 in 1 filter cartridge with no sponge :/), halve the dose (you did this already) and take a small sample of your tank water, add the medicine, mix and then re-add the water. The third one might be useful for your situation if you choose to continue medicating. Aquarium Salt has been known for immune boosting properties and I have found documented Corydoras sensitivity to salt but you can halve the amount of salt with good success. Then there's water changes...workable but your fish have been under some extraordinary stress which would make me reluctant to do it but again, you know your fish best. And you're making me blush! I just have a knack for research. Nothing particularly special.
__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
Oh drat, I already left it to dry in the windowsill in the sun I think it had some bb too. :/ So I could use the melafix and leave in the filter? but you said not to before and the bottle says to take it out too.

As for the salt, how much per gallon would you say? I know what is acceptable for bettas since I've done it before, but, it seems harder to find that info for corycat fish thus far.

Yeah... water changes is always good... they don't seem to mind, they kinda just lay on the sand while we do it the couple times we've done it so far with them in the tank... but who knows if they really mind or if it stresses them

I research as well but sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for so asking people who know more than I is always helpful And you're welcome.
__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Oh drat, I already left it to dry in the windowsill in the sun I think it had some bb too. :/ So I could use the melafix and leave in the filter? but you said not to before and the bottle says to take it out too.

As for the salt, how much per gallon would you say? I know what is acceptable for bettas since I've done it before, but, it seems harder to find that info for corycat fish thus far.

Yeah... water changes is always good... they don't seem to mind, they kinda just lay on the sand while we do it the couple times we've done it so far with them in the tank... but who knows if they really mind or if it stresses them

I research as well but sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for so asking people who know more than I is always helpful And you're welcome.
Luckily with your new Quick Start and Stress Zyme you can dunk it (the cartridge) into the 10g, and then pour a little bit of both Quick Start and Stress Zyme onto it and that problem is easily solved. For the salt, I would only put in maybe a teaspoon and see how they react to it. However that might be too little. Maybe someone else might have a better salt to water ratio. Most people use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons but I think that might be a bit much.
__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
So the problem was just that it had no bacteria, and not the carbon itself? I am so confused Could I just wet it in the sink? I don't really want to cross mix anything between the tanks yet

Thanks We'll see if anyone else says anything.

Do you think it would be fine to just keep half dosing the medicine based on what we have both found out? I don't know if I want to do salt with all of it... plus with salt I'd have to mostly drain the tank so I'd have a correct ratio right? Or no... :/
__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
So the problem was just that it had no bacteria, and not the carbon itself? I am so confused Could I just wet it in the sink? I don't really want to cross mix anything between the tanks yet

Thanks We'll see if anyone else says anything.

Do you think it would be fine to just keep half dosing the medicine based on what we have both found out? I don't know if I want to do salt with all of it... plus with salt I'd have to mostly drain the tank so I'd have a correct ratio right? Or no... :/
No. Problem was that carbon absorbs just about anything. But sink rinse is fine. I would keep half dosing and if anyone looks unhappy then stop.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catfish, dwarf, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Pygmy cory catfish Fishlover3578 Archive 3 09-20-2013 04:22 PM
Got my dwarf puffer today wildroseofky Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 09-06-2013 04:00 PM
Our Power Company Says: Our Water Filter Can Give Off Electromagnetic Radiation. Temp General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 37 09-28-2010 01:49 PM
Got my satalite light today , got a question... Civicman86 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 12 08-11-2005 08:58 PM
I got my metal halide 175 today..got a few questions... gump3842k General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 02-18-2005 01:01 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.