Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #161
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
:P Awwwww. Ohhhh man. Poor otos! Oh man. hahahah. Silly fish. They all have a personality, whether really big or really small or somewhere in between.

I can't wait to see what my little vacuums are doing tonight.

I was feeding Bubble's in his floating log, but, now it won't stay flush to the front of the tank. It needs just the right amount of water. So his food has been floating away from the light current. So now I think I have to turn the filter off when I feed him which is annoying. He lost a freeze dried bloodworm yesterday and it is now on the prefilter in the intake and yeah. Poor little guy. I gave him some extra pellets because I am not sure what he dropped, so he is getting a little less today and tomorrow, then his fast day is Wednesday.

Do you have any idea if catfish can have a fast day once a week? That would be fantastic if they can because that way I don't have to worry about Bubble's eating on his fast day lol.
I should think any fish can (except for exclusive algae eaters. They need to eat every day and my other fish would stuff themselves with the algae ugh. Poor little otos barely got any after the guppies and platys were done with it) And once the catfish join Bubbles they'll clean up after him.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
I read that goldfish must eat daily though, maybe I even read twice a day?

But yeah, I think that should probably be ok for the catfish. I just don't want to starve them, they're so tiny, they probably have a bit faster metabolism than a betta does.

Bubble's does not leave food though at least not normally :/ lol. He gets that food! Unless it floats to the bottom, he nips at it once or twice and then usually leave it alone if he doesn't get it. That normally only happens if the current floats it away. I'll probably have to unplug the filter at feeding time, esp once the catfish are in the tank. I don't want their food to get sucked up in the descent down to the sand.
__________________

__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
I read that goldfish must eat daily though, maybe I even read twice a day?

But yeah, I think that should probably be ok for the catfish. I just don't want to starve them, they're so tiny, they probably have a bit faster metabolism than a betta does.

Bubble's does not leave food though at least not normally :/ lol. He gets that food! Unless it floats to the bottom, he nips at it once or twice and then usually leave it alone if he doesn't get it. That normally only happens if the current floats it away. I'll probably have to unplug the filter at feeding time, esp once the catfish are in the tank. I don't want their food to get sucked up in the descent down to the sand.
Haha one determined fish! It won't hurt to turn off the filter.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #164
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
yep! I forgot to turn it on for 45 mins or so after though. And we unplugged the heater too during the change and it was found that it was unplugged and down to 73! We keep it at around 77-78 in the 10g... oops. Bubbles should be fine though. It's plugged back in now. Good thing it is not winter time yet :P
__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #165
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
yep! I forgot to turn it on for 45 mins or so after though. And we unplugged the heater too during the change and it was found that it was unplugged and down to 73! We keep it at around 77-78 in the 10g... oops. Bubbles should be fine though. It's plugged back in now. Good thing it is not winter time yet :P
I lost power last winter and the tank got down to 69! Surtur nearly died but came back after my other half raced to rescue him.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #166
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
Oh gosh!! I worry about that too with winter coming. It's usually not out more than a few hours, but if it's out more than that we'll have to figure something out!

What kind of a fish is he?

I'm so glad your honey saved him!!!
__________________
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ĖGandalf- 20g high community tank, 5g w red male betta, 10g w crowntail blue male betta & 4 Amano shrimp.
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Oh gosh!! I worry about that too with winter coming. It's usually not out more than a few hours, but if it's out more than that we'll have to figure something out!

What kind of a fish is he?

I'm so glad your honey saved him!!!
Surtur was my last betta.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #168
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
Ah. How long did you have him?

Do you think that it would be ok to add say 3 of the pygmy catfish then wait a week and add the other 4? I don't really want to do it in twos two times and then three the last, I just don't want them to get lonely
__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #169
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SuomiBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Penndel, PA
Posts: 297
Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Ah. How long did you have him?

Do you think that it would be ok to add say 3 of the pygmy catfish then wait a week and add the other 4? I don't really want to do it in twos two times and then three the last, I just don't want them to get lonely
About a year. I think that should be okay. You have an ammonia test and Quick Start in case of spikes. Lonely fish are the worst! I remember when I lost two of my platys. The third was so lonely I thought he'd die of a broken heart!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
5 gallon Betta Palace, 75 gallon Freshwater (coming soon) Official Presenter of the Darwin Award
SuomiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #170
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragon14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 1,215
Aww.

Yes I am going to test the 5g tomorrow and check on the ammonia. So is that stuff supposed to eat ammonia? If so, will ammonia still show or?

I hope I don't have to do a water change because like you said the medicine needs to build up, but, I don't want my little cutefaces to have ammonia in with them either! Tomorrow will be the fourth day since I started the meds, and we did a 50% water chance before doing the medicine since it had been 48 hrs since we'd done a water change.

If I have to do a water change, do you think I should dose an extra day or two with meds or no? I am pretty sure I'd have to add more quick start and stress zyme too if I changed the water.
__________________

__________________
dragon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catfish, dwarf, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Pygmy cory catfish Fishlover3578 Archive 3 09-20-2013 04:22 PM
Got my dwarf puffer today wildroseofky Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 09-06-2013 04:00 PM
Our Power Company Says: Our Water Filter Can Give Off Electromagnetic Radiation. Temp General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 37 09-28-2010 01:49 PM
Got my satalite light today , got a question... Civicman86 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 12 08-11-2005 08:58 PM
I got my metal halide 175 today..got a few questions... gump3842k General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 02-18-2005 01:01 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.