Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds good.

Also, if they have a thin black line down the side, they are indeed pygmaeus. If they have a thicker black line, and other black spots, they are habrosus. Corydoras pygmaeus have the thin horizontal stripe, corydoras habrosus have black patches on their bodies, and corydoras hastatus have a single black spot at the base of the tail.

habrosus:

pygmaeus:

hastatus:

Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Yes . As soon as possible but it seems the consensus is a minimum of two weeks. I heard four is best but we finished cycling on the 20th of this month and don't want the bacteria to die off too much. Our betta likes to poop though lol. Or whatever else makes him make ammonia lol. His ammonia got too high twice .25 then .5, and we treated him with salt both times since his fins were shredding and falling off it seems due to fin rot. I never want ammonia issues again! Live and learn. He seems okay though . I love my little guy.

We are planning about a 50% water change, maybe a bit more, every 3 days on the 5g. I'll test for ammonia of course. I don't want our tiny new friends to get sick!!

We were planning to take out the betta for 30-60 mins, rearrange the tank a bit, add the catfish, and then let them roam a bit before putting him back. Does that sound good?

Thank you
That's what I would do. I'd also move your handsome fella a little away from his ten gallon to really make him think it's a new tank. (Bettas are nearsighted so it doesn't have to be very far)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

@PerfectDepth

The pygmaeus picture didn't show up lol. I am 99.9999% that is what we have though. They look exactly like the little picture I posted. I think I managed to get a decent picture this morning so I'll try to post it soon.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiBetta View Post
That's what I would do. I'd also move your handsome fella a little away from his ten gallon to really make him think it's a new tank. (Bettas are nearsighted so it doesn't have to be very far)

Yep, that's what I was thinking too He'll probably be a pitcher-fish until we put him back in. He's been a pitcher-fish before and didn't really like it, but it works for a very temporary place to put him We use two one-gallon pitchers for water with our tanks. I don't know another way lol and that is what works for us. If it was any bigger than a 10g we had that might not be so good, but, eh, works for us Bought them brand new at WalMart and rinsed thoroughly. Bought a 5g bucket for waterchanges too brand new at WalMart. And we have two siphons lol. We have bought sooo much stuff for these fish! Returned quite a bit of things too. We are done for now except getting two more pygmy catfishes tomorrow if they still have some.

Gosh, we could have gotten the hamster we were originally gonna get for a lot cheaper than we've spent on these fish but that's okay. I love my little fishies
Old 09-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yep, that's what I was thinking too He'll probably be a pitcher-fish until we put him back in. He's been a pitcher-fish before and didn't really like it, but it works for a very temporary place to put him We use two one-gallon pitchers for water with our tanks. I don't know another way lol and that is what works for us. If it was any bigger than a 10g we had that might not be so good, but, eh, works for us Bought them brand new at WalMart and rinsed thoroughly. Bought a 5g bucket for waterchanges too brand new at WalMart. And we have two siphons lol. We have bought sooo much stuff for these fish! Returned quite a bit of things too. We are done for now except getting two more pygmy catfishes tomorrow if they still have some.

Gosh, we could have gotten the hamster we were originally gonna get for a lot cheaper than we've spent on these fish but that's okay. I love my little fishies
He'll live spoiled little buggar lol. Hey I use an old 3 gallon tank as my water change bucket and an old 1 gallon jug for new water. Whatever works lol. Ohh I hope they have more. I love Cory cats...so cute. Otocinclus are adorable little algae vacuums lol and they get so fat so easily hehe.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
@PerfectDepth

The pygmaeus picture didn't show up lol. I am 99.9999% that is what we have though. They look exactly like the little picture I posted. I think I managed to get a decent picture this morning so I'll try to post it soon.
pygmaeus:

If you have the pygmaeus species, you might notice that they're a bit shy, also they're not exactly bottom-dwellers. They'll rest on the bottom and root around in the substrate, but they tend to be mid-level swimmers rather than scooting around on the bottom like most other cories.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right now they're being lazy little buggars laying around lol.

I definitely have pygmaeus. They aren't habrosus and they're not hastasus.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just came home with two more . They're floating in the tank now.

We also got a piece of Malaysian wood. He said wood only lowers ph a little and that lessens over time.

The 5 we have are still being lazy on the bottom lol.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

SuomiBetta

Yep! Whatever works is right
Yes they'll be spoiled . They had them still! Got 2 more. Was a dead fish in the tank with them. Again. Looks like it got caught up in some grassy stuff . First time a different dead fish was kinda floating there. :/. He had said it was probably from stress of moving around.

I think I researched those little guys. I think they'd work in a 10g. I read though they're usually wild caught and hard to breed. And unfortunately commonly die within a few weeks of getting them due to stress. . Not sure if that's all true, but,
We want an algae eater too. But only one that is appropriate in a 10g.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
SuomiBetta

Yep! Whatever works is right
Yes they'll be spoiled . They had them still! Got 2 more. Was a dead fish in the tank with them. Again. Looks like it got caught up in some grassy stuff . First time a different dead fish was kinda floating there. :/. He had said it was probably from stress of moving around.

I think I researched those little guys. I think they'd work in a 10g. I read though they're usually wild caught and hard to breed. And unfortunately commonly die within a few weeks of getting them due to stress. . Not sure if that's all true, but,
We want an algae eater too. But only one that is appropriate in a 10g.
I absolutely HATE that. Ick. I'd add some Melafix to make sure no one gets sick from the dead fish bacteria! Otocinclus (in a group of 6) are great little cleaners! They're also only 2'' so they're nice and tiny.

Tags
catfish, dwarf, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com