We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Petco is a little cumbersome to go to regularly, but would if I had to. It's just under an hour away, lfs 1 and 2 are much closer. So pooey.

I did not get Bettafix for him... I've only treated him with salt. I am wondering if I should have got that instead of the melafix but I already bought & used some.... it's due to catfish not having scales and having some armored plates (I think that is how it was described). However a little quick Googling brings me to a little concern... that it may not be ok for them :( Oh wow some people had some sick catfish and used it on them and they died. Yeah so I am going to stop using that... I wonder if I can return it... Other people were saying just to not use it on corys. Not pygmys in particular but cories in general...

Okay I hope I didn't kill them :'(

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-to-heal-cory-cats-11889817.html#4
That quote there really concerns me. Apparently bettafix may not be good either...

Oh dear gosh I hope I didn't hurt them :( Any other ideas?

Petco is a little cumbersome to go to regularly, but would if I had to. It's just under an hour away, lfs 1 and 2 are much closer. So pooey.

I did not get Bettafix for him... I've only treated him with salt. I am wondering if I should have got that instead of the melafix but I already bought & used some.... it's due to catfish not having scales and having some armored plates (I htink that is how it was described). However a little quick Googling brings me to a little concern... that it may not be ok for them :( Oh wow some people had some sick catfish and used it on them and they died. Yeah so I am going to stop using that... I wonder if I can return it... Other people were saying just to not use it on corys. Not pygmys in particular but cories in general...

Okay I hope I didn't kill them :'(

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-to-heal-cory-cats-11889817.html#4
That quote there really concerns me. Apparently bettafix may not be good either...

Oh dear gosh I hope I didn't hurt them :( Any other ideas?

I'm not sure this is a trusted source. I would look up if it is indeed true that Cory cats have labyrinth organs. I would use wikipedia to look up anatomy of the Corydoras species. For instance, I already found that the no salt thing is a total myth. Then I would wait 24 hours to see how your fish are doing before making any decisions. I've never had an issue with Bettafix hurting my bettas as it is only 0.2% by volume Tea Tree Oil. From a chemistry perspective, that is extremely low. I can see if a severely ill fish with an infection in the labyrinth that's doing damage may have an issue. I highly doubt you hurt them. You halved the dose. I've yet to see any contraindications for Pimafix for labyrinth fish. You could potentially dose with a broad-spectrum antibiotic but you don't want to create antibiotic resistance in any tank.

Last edited:
I will do some more research :) I came across some posts that also said that it was fine on their fish. Some saying it didn't hurt the cory fish but didn't do a darned thing either. ::Sigh::

I don't think they have labyrinth organs but I'll look it up to make sure. I think some of the posts I saw said not to use it on them since they gulp air, and those people may have been assuming they had a labyrinth organ because of that. Since I've only used a tiny amt and it's a huge bottle I may be able to return it. ::sigh?:: they may not even need to be treated but it is a good idea.

Yeah I don't really want to treat them with a broad spectrum either, they may not even need anything. We don't need resistance. I am also going to see if salt is ok. I've heard mixed things about this too with cory cat fish. I think I might make a new post about this specifically to see what other cory owners have to say.

Have you ever had any cory cat fish? :)

Thank you, that's reassuring that you say I probably didn't hurt them :). I probably didn't but after reading that it scared me a bit!

I will do some more research :) I came across some posts that also said that it was fine on their fish. Some saying it didn't hurt the cory fish but didn't do a darned thing either. ::Sigh::

I don't think they have labyrinth organs but I'll look it up to make sure. I think some of the posts I saw said not to use it on them since they gulp air, and those people may have been assuming they had a labyrinth organ because of that. Since I've only used a tiny amt and it's a huge bottle I may be able to return it. ::sigh?:: they may not even need to be treated but it is a good idea.

Yeah I don't really want to treat them with a broad spectrum either, they may not even need anything. We don't need resistance. I am also going to see if salt is ok. I've heard mixed things about this too with cory cat fish. I think I might make a new post about this specifically to see what other cory owners have to say.

Have you ever had any cory cat fish? :)

Thank you, that's reassuring that you say I probably didn't hurt them :). I probably didn't but after reading that it scared me a bit!

I had Otocinclus which are quite similar. Being a biology major I know how to tell what is trustable and what is not. Look up Corydoras on Wikipedia: It says they do gulp air but it does not say anywhere that they gain oxygen. Given their natural habitat it would be highly unlikely they have a labyrinth. I still suggest using a preventative medication but large water changes might be a viable alternative if you have fish that are not actively ill. And I would keep the meds you have now just in case a problem comes up in the future. Just as I suspected, people who lost fish to either of these medications likely overdosed or underestimated the degree to which their fish were ill. While it is true that labyrinth fish are sensitive to Melafix, it is possible to use it on them but with extra caution.

Last edited:
:)

Thanks :) I REALLY appreciate all your help so far! You are a wealth of information and it is appreciated! I hope you don't mind that I make another new post, I just want to see what some other people have to say about this subject.

Last thing I want to do is hurt these adorable little creatures!

I'm not sure what else I would use; a broad spectrum seems overkill for a maybe issue.

One of the meds is good only through this coming April, the other through 2017 or 2018. So a little hole in the pocket for the April one if I don't use it, but, wouldn't be the first time I spent a little $ on fish stuff I didn't use or can't use and wasn't able to return...

:)

Thanks :) I REALLY appreciate all your help so far! You are a wealth of information and it is appreciated! I hope you don't mind that I make another new post, I just want to see what some other people have to say about this subject.

Last thing I want to do is hurt these adorable little creatures!

I'm not sure what else I would use; a broad spectrum seems overkill for a maybe issue.

One of the meds is good only through this coming April, the other through 2017 or 2018. So a little hole in the pocket for the April one if I don't use it, but, wouldn't be the first time I spent a little $ on fish stuff I didn't use or can't use and wasn't able to return...

I would keep the one that's good through '17-'18 and if it is the Melafix you have to use now I found a few good suggestions: Leave activated carbon in your filter (I do this because I have a 3 in 1 filter cartridge with no sponge :/), halve the dose (you did this already) and take a small sample of your tank water, add the medicine, mix and then re-add the water. The third one might be useful for your situation if you choose to continue medicating. Aquarium Salt has been known for immune boosting properties and I have found documented Corydoras sensitivity to salt but you can halve the amount of salt with good success. Then there's water changes...workable but your fish have been under some extraordinary stress which would make me reluctant to do it but again, you know your fish best. And you're making me blush! I just have a knack for research. Nothing particularly special. :D

Oh drat, I already left it to dry in the windowsill in the sun :( I think it had some bb too. :/ So I could use the melafix and leave in the filter? but you said not to before and the bottle says to take it out too.

As for the salt, how much per gallon would you say? I know what is acceptable for bettas since I've done it before, but, it seems harder to find that info for corycat fish thus far.

Yeah... water changes is always good... they don't seem to mind, they kinda just lay on the sand while we do it the couple times we've done it so far with them in the tank... but who knows if they really mind or if it stresses them :(

;) I research as well but sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for so asking people who know more than I is always helpful ;) And you're welcome.

Oh drat, I already left it to dry in the windowsill in the sun :( I think it had some bb too. :/ So I could use the melafix and leave in the filter? but you said not to before and the bottle says to take it out too.

As for the salt, how much per gallon would you say? I know what is acceptable for bettas since I've done it before, but, it seems harder to find that info for corycat fish thus far.

Yeah... water changes is always good... they don't seem to mind, they kinda just lay on the sand while we do it the couple times we've done it so far with them in the tank... but who knows if they really mind or if it stresses them :(

;) I research as well but sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for so asking people who know more than I is always helpful ;) And you're welcome.

Luckily with your new Quick Start and Stress Zyme you can dunk it (the cartridge) into the 10g, and then pour a little bit of both Quick Start and Stress Zyme onto it and that problem is easily solved. For the salt, I would only put in maybe a teaspoon and see how they react to it. However that might be too little. Maybe someone else might have a better salt to water ratio. Most people use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons but I think that might be a bit much.

So the problem was just that it had no bacteria, and not the carbon itself? I am so confused :( Could I just wet it in the sink? I don't really want to cross mix anything between the tanks yet :(

Do you think it would be fine to just keep half dosing the medicine based on what we have both found out? I don't know if I want to do salt with all of it... plus with salt I'd have to mostly drain the tank so I'd have a correct ratio right? Or no... :/

So the problem was just that it had no bacteria, and not the carbon itself? I am so confused :( Could I just wet it in the sink? I don't really want to cross mix anything between the tanks yet :(

Do you think it would be fine to just keep half dosing the medicine based on what we have both found out? I don't know if I want to do salt with all of it... plus with salt I'd have to mostly drain the tank so I'd have a correct ratio right? Or no... :/

No. Problem was that carbon absorbs just about anything. But sink rinse is fine. I would keep half dosing and if anyone looks unhappy then stop.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So leave the carbon filter out then if I stay with the medicine?

That's what I was thinking at this point. Thanks :)

So leave the carbon filter out then if I stay with the medicine?

That's what I was thinking at this point. Thanks :)

You can. Or you can put it back in to further protect your fish.

But I thought it would eat the medicine, which is why you told me to take it out before?

Yes. But with it in, the exposure to medicine is lessened. It's a useful strategy for sensitive fish. But I don't see any reason to put it in unless you feel your fish are in danger.

Oh! Okay. I'll see how they are doing tonight and in the morning and for the next day or two. How much does it absorb the medicine do you know?

After I am done treating them and observing them for a few days after they're done, do you think we could go ahead and put them with our Betta?

Oh! Okay. I'll see how they are doing tonight and in the morning and for the next day or two. How much does it absorb the medicine do you know?

After I am done treating them and observing them for a few days after they're done, do you think we could go ahead and put them with our Betta?

That's a chemical calculation I am unable to do lol. It would eventually absorb all of it which is why the bottle says remove carbon if possible. As for how much and how quickly I can't say. I've successfully treated fish with it in but in your case I would probably leave it out. If everyone looks healthy and happy then into the big tank they go.

No worries. :p

Thanks again :D Of course I'll see how they are as time and treatment goes on, but, how much do you think I should worry about the wilted fins? It's not all the time and not all of them, and it doesn't seem like they're clamped... I looked up some pics but it's hard to tell for sure. I think it's just when they rest... ::Sigh::

No worries. :p

Thanks again :D Of course I'll see how they are as time and treatment goes on, but, how much do you think I should worry about the wilted fins? It's not all the time and not all of them, and it doesn't seem like they're clamped... I looked up some pics but it's hard to tell for sure. I think it's just when they rest... ::Sigh::

Well, you're already treating them. Now it would be more appropriate to ask are the fins getting closer to the body as you medicate them. If they are, then that would be your cue to get a stronger medicine. If it stops or stays the same then things are okay.

Ok :) Thank you. They will be closely watched! We have been anyway though. And I study our betta daily.

Ok :) Thank you. They will be closely watched! We have been anyway though. And I study our betta daily.

That's a good idea! My fish used to be able to predict when I would check on them and practiced their best begging faces lol. Eventually the same will happen with your fish.

Back
Top Bottom