Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to SuomiBetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
I definitely won't!

I'm not going to treat him unless I think he needs it. He's already been treated w salt twice due to some suspected fin rot.

Just rinse w really hot water for the tank? What about the filter? And the bit of sand in there?
Yep. Give everything a good rinse and everything is good.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

After treating them how long till putting them in the 10g tank do you think?

Also my other half is a little skeptical of treating them and thinks they're fine but I think it's a good idea.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

After treating them how long till putting them in the 10g tank do you think?

Also my other half is a little skeptical of treating them and thinks they're fine but I think it's a good idea.
Depends on how they're doing. I'd wait a few days.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok

They seem fine now . The dead fish bug me though. Like I said could happen whether or not you actually saw the dead fish in the tank though.

That's the risk you take with fish I guess. Or any pet. They could be sick
Old 09-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Ok

They seem fine now . The dead fish bug me though. Like I said could happen whether or not you actually saw the dead fish in the tank though.

That's the risk you take with fish I guess. Or any pet. They could be sick
Yes that's a risk. That's why when getting any new fish you keep them separate and give them medicine in case they're harboring bacteria/parasites/fungi. You'll hear mixed reviews on how well Melafix/Pimafix works on treating full blown infections but as a preventative I've yet to find anything better. Though I always tell people if after a week the fish don't look better, go to a stronger medication. Are your Corys behaving normally? Happy to eat, schooling ect? Are there any that have their fins pressed close to their bodies or acting more sluggish than usual? Knowing the answers to these questions would help with dosing/deciding to move to a stronger antibiotic. However my gut tells me that I don't think they quite need that.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally, I'd skip the melafix / pimafix and just do extra water changes. Lots of clean fresh water is a better preventative in my experience. Melafix is great for some things, but useless for others, plus I think it reduces oxygen level. I avoid unless I'm using it for a specific purpose- for example it works wonders on mouth fungus (that isn't columnaris-related) that guppies are prone to get sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks to both of you

They are schooling and foraging fine, especially since we release the pinch of food underwater now so it sinks for them. The food seems a little big for their tiny mouths so it gets spit out some but everything from last night was gone this morning.

I gave them more this morning since I wasn't sure if they'd eaten much the last few days but. They're seeming to do fine. There's one I call loner fish who's off by himself sometimes but he's not acting weird.

Do they move so quickly, especially when on the side of the tank, it looks like they're shaking a tiny bit? I think that's normal.

They rest on the sand a lot sometimes but I think that's normal. Some of the fins look a little flatter but that's when they're resting and not swimming.

They seem fine...

I didn't actually buy anything yet since I haven't had a chance yet. Decisions decisions.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thanks to both of you

They are schooling and foraging fine, especially since we release the pinch of food underwater now so it sinks for them. The food seems a little big for their tiny mouths so it gets spit out some but everything from last night was gone this morning.

I gave them more this morning since I wasn't sure if they'd eaten much the last few days but. They're seeming to do fine. There's one I call loner fish who's off by himself sometimes but he's not acting weird.

Do they move so quickly, especially when on the side of the tank, it looks like they're shaking a tiny bit? I think that's normal.

They rest on the sand a lot sometimes but I think that's normal. Some of the fins look a little flatter but that's when they're resting and not swimming.

They seem fine...

I didn't actually buy anything yet since I haven't had a chance yet. Decisions decisions.
Hmmm...I'd watch them carefully, especially the ones who have partially closed fins. A quick google search tells me that your little ones should have their fins fully open even when resting. Fin clamping is usually one of the first signs a fish isn't well. It's basically fish for "Mom, I don't feel so good" but that one might just be more tired than the others. Without a picture it's hard to say. But the others definitely sound healthy. Are there any shimmies (look like they're swimming in place)?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah they do seem to get tired :p. the fins don't really looked clamped down, just they go down some. I'd try to get a picture but they're so tiny and it's hard to. Maybe w my real camera I could. W my iPod touch its crappy. But my camera well they go a little fast for it unless they're resting.

Right now three of them have fins down three don't and ones swimming.

Yes, that's what I was trying to describe. Shimmying. Is that bad? They only seem to do it when on the side of the tank tho. Against the glass.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yeah they do seem to get tired :p. the fins don't really looked clamped down, just they go down some. I'd try to get a picture but they're so tiny and it's hard to. Maybe w my real camera I could. W my iPod touch its crappy. But my camera well they go a little fast for it unless they're resting.

Right now three of them have fins down three don't and ones swimming.

Yes, that's what I was trying to describe. Shimmying. Is that bad? They only seem to do it when on the side of the tank tho. Against the glass.
Yes! That's also bad. Your fish are sick! You need to make a decision on how to treat them.

Tags
catfish, dwarf, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com