We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)

He can have a treat! :p ;) Do you have frozen or freeze dried blood worms for him? I have freeze dried, but my loveable brat didn't chase it much after it blew away from the current a day or two ago. It is now decomposing in the back near the heater and filter. Ugh. I can't wait to suck it up!!!!

I am hoping that I can get some more variety of fish food for my catfish at the other lfs or maybe PetCo if I go anytime soon, otherwise I will order online. I got lots of great responses in another thread I made called what to feed pygmy catfish.

Ammonia and nitrite perfect in the catfish tank today!

Sept 28 we did a 50% water change and then I added the QuickStart and stress Zyme.

Today is day 4 of treatment. 3 days left then I'll give a whirl at salt. Only 1-2 wilty fins and its not all the time.

Gona test water daily for ammonia and nitrite but seems like the bacteria in a bottle is doing its job and/or they haven't made much waste :p

Ammonia and nitrite perfect in the catfish tank today!

Sept 28 we did a 50% water change and then I added the QuickStart and stress Zyme.

Today is day 4 of treatment. 3 days left then I'll give a whirl at salt. Only 1-2 wilty fins and its not all the time.

Gona test water daily for ammonia and nitrite but seems like the bacteria in a bottle is doing its job and/or they haven't made much waste :p

Trust me, it's the bacteria. There's definitely pee/poop in there :p Heck that Stress Zyme is eating the water mold in Ragnar's tank. And Ragnar says thanks for the treat :)

Yayyyy :D I will keep testing, but thanks again for telling me to try that stuff! I am glad that I had the option of buying teeny trial size bottles since my lfs had them in stock, because I didn't want to spend too much money at the time, but, it's great to know about this stuff especially in a pinch! Which is what I was in for these catfish and treating them!

You're welcome Ragnar :D

I like the Hikari Omnivore sinking waters for the bottom feeders they can be broken into 5-6 or 7 pieces to share. Heck even the Betta will probably like a bit.

Watching their little mouths move while eating... SO CUTE! I just love them!!

Also I'm quite happy to report no ammonia or nitrite in their 5g tank after 5 days of treatment with melafix and pimafix and no water changes during that time except when we did a 50% change right before starting this. I used QuickStart and stresszyme too. :)

Watching their little mouths move while eating... SO CUTE! I just love them!!

Also I'm quite happy to report no ammonia or nitrite in their 5g tank after 5 days of treatment with melafix and pimafix and no water changes during that time except when we did a 50% change right before starting this. I used QuickStart and stresszyme too. :)

Awesome! How are their fins and breathing?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fins look good but one looks like his top fin got trimmed a bit :/. Duno if it was already like that. It's sticking up like it should though. One wilty fin on another fish.

How do you watch a fishes breathing?

Fins look good but one looks like his top fin got trimmed a bit :/. Duno if it was already like that. It's sticking up like it should though. One wilty fin on another fish.

How do you watch a fishes breathing?

Watch the gills, mouth and belly. If these parts on the fish are moving dramatically then they're having trouble. If they're moving at a relaxed pace they're just fine.

Yay! Healthy catfish! They are so darned cute! I miss my little otos, they were cute too.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:D

Well they have a few wilty fins now and again now, but only while resting. Is that concerning?

Also I noticed one or two of them kind of panting after a water change I did last night, I think I stressed them out :( Ugh. But it stopped after not too long.

:D

Well they have a few wilty fins now and again now, but only while resting. Is that concerning?

Also I noticed one or two of them kind of panting after a water change I did last night, I think I stressed them out :( Ugh. But it stopped after not too long.

Check the ph of your tap water straight out of the tap & compare to water that's been sitting in a container for 24 hrs. I let my water sit in 5 gal. buckets for a few days before changing water. I also put a heater in the bucket to match the temperature. That way the new water coming in is as close as possible to the water in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Check the ph of your tap water straight out of the tap & compare to water that's been sitting in a container for 24 hrs. I let my water sit in 5 gal. buckets for a few days before changing water. I also put a heater in the bucket to match the temperature. That way the new water coming in is as close as possible to the water in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a good idea! Every time I check right from the tap and from the tank though, the PH 7.6 on the api water test kit.

But I'll do that! I also like to temperature match it but I don't think I can really get another heater for that :( I could certainly get another bucket though. We have one, for exit water.

That's a good idea! Every time I check right from the tap and from the tank though, the PH 7.6 on the api water test kit.

But I'll do that! I also like to temperature match it but I don't think I can really get another heater for that :( I could certainly get another bucket though. We have one, for exit water.

You can do the hand test (does it feel the same on each hand) that usually works quite well.

You can do the hand test (does it feel the same on each hand) that usually works quite well.

For temperature? I usually get it within a few degrees (usually a bit too warm :/) Our faucet sometimes changes right in the middle of a flow though so I have learned to keep my finger under it...

For temperature? I usually get it within a few degrees (usually a bit too warm :/) Our faucet sometimes changes right in the middle of a flow though so I have learned to keep my finger under it...

Exactly. I've learned to alternate the faucet since having a separate heater for my bucket isn't particularly economical.

Back
Top Bottom