Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Website To Purchase Fish??

What website do some of you purchase your fish from? I think I'd like to poke around and see what I can find... I seem to get fish with various parasites from Petsmart, etc...
I'm going to look at some nice looking private tropical fish stores around here and see how they look...

Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-a-167714.html

Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good link from bruinsbro.

You can also check AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium related equipment and fish in an auction format!. Additionally, Fosters and smith usually gets good reviews for live stock, but shipping is pricey.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Sounds good...
My mollies are usually $1.99 @ the store... I'll have to compare prices
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

It's hard to compare prices like that. Livebearers are generally cheaper in storefronts because they're ridiculously prolific breeders. Online is where you get better deals on most everything but the most common livebearers, tetras, and the like.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm okay makes sense... I'm relatively new to all of this, so I'm really excited!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I will say, ordering for the first time is a little difficult. It doesn't seem like shipping fish in a small bag of water, via the mail, is a good idea. Once I ordered some for the first time, I realized it's not that bad at all. You typically get healthier fish, you get what you wanted, and you don't have to drive around looking for them. A lot of times, shipping costs turn people away...but when you buy from someone who charges actual shipping costs, it's not that bad. I'd say $8-12 is about the average of what it costs to ship... since a medium flat rate box is only ~$12. You can fit a lot of fish in a medium FRB. Some places QT new arrivals (like HN1/SM linked above) and most offer refunds/replacements on DOA's, usually minus shipping cost (usually make you take a time stamped photo within an hour or two of delivery). I will say, if you order from aquabid, check their feedback... just like ebay or any other site where you get individuals, there are some who don't hold true to their commitments. Feedback is a great way to see how others experiences went, as well as offering your own.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com