Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, its here. Long post

We started at 9:30 this morning pulling apart and loading up this huge tank. I am so glad we decided to have our lfs guy help out. I didn't realize how much stuff there was. We ended up not keeping the sump because it was HUGE. The lfs guy even had to leave some of his water barrels at the place we got the tank, so he could fit the tank and stand in his van. This whole thing has just been one mess after another. We didn't realize that the stand had castors under it so those had to come off so the wheels didn't go through the floor, then we had to cut off the bottom molding of the stand because it extended past the bottom of it. SO, because the lfs guy left his barrels behind, we had to start fresh with the water. Getting the filter that we had that worked to start was a HUGE pain in the A. Its a ten year old canister filter that did NOT want to syphon. ARGH! We did keep some of the sand and all of the rock, so I am hoping that will be enough to keep it from cycling. (If all of this makes no sense, I do apologize, my mind is totally dead) So while all of this is going on, the fish are totally stressed. Only 3 of the seven made it into the tank. I haven't seen a single one since they went in. I have hardly eaten today, and now I have to leave to go and stay at my moms house because they (mom and dad) are on vacation. I am beat. There is so much to clean up. I am just going to have to do it tomorrow. I did take pics though. Hopefully there will be better ones once the water clears.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

here are a few more. You can sort of see the size difference between the 55 and the 150

Old 04-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That makes me tired just reading about it 8O

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it's home anyway. Don't stress. Everything can be dealt with in time. It will be awesome.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Sweet...now don't forget to update your sig!
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Although that was a lot of work (of course you knew it would be...probably not the extent)...you came through it with flying colors!!! You are well on your way to an exciting SW tank. I can't wait until you've rested...checked everything and get everything set up.

By the way...please identify for the record who exactly is it laid out on the stand in the first pic.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol! Thats me! Just kidding. That is my daughter, Ezra. I have another pic with my hubby doing the same thing, but I'm not sure how he would feel if I put that one up. It has been one heck of a day. The smell of low tide in my house is overwhelming. As posted in another thread
Quote:
I went in and spoke to the lfs guys, and they are sure this is all very normal when moving a tank of this size that has been established for so long. They said the key to the odor control is carbon. Since I don't want to touch that old canister for fear of never starting it again, I pulled my canister from my freshwater and loaded it with carbon and moved it to the sw. The lfs guys gave me great deal on a smaller filter for my fw which worked out perfect. At 11:30 I am DONE for today. Tomorrow I get the fun job of scooping out all those dead worms. Rolling Eyes
My poor husband is so sore from helping out yesterday, and now he is working a bunch of overtime to try and keep up with all the unexpected expenses. I hope this situation gets less stressful soon. I feel like I am riding a whirlwind. I forgot to mention, All the fish died. And two of the bulbs have burned out. It just gets better and better.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:06 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats on the new tank, and like Fluff said, don't stress over anything. First get the odor under control and then make sure the parameters are stable. Sorry about the fish, though

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
By the way...please identify for the record who exactly is it laid out on the stand in the first pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
That is my daughter, Ezra.
Thanks...had me going there for a minute.

Oh and yeah, continued membership at AA requires that you update your sig...LOL.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok!OK! Ill do it now

See.... all better.

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com